Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 H 1 Cent - Does The 1 Qualify As Triple?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1000 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  3:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
does this 1 qualify as a Triple? MD?
thank you all
H

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's a "triple", but don't think repunched. I'll let one of the error folks chime in. I just looked through 52 1881's that are not in 1 1/2 X 1 1/2's and found 3 similar to yours. They are not exactly like yours .. 1 with less offset, 1 with offset much wider at the top than yours and another just like yours. I have 120+ more that are in holders but don't want to examine them under the binocs. I've looked through many 1,000's of 1881's and never even looked at any dates for doubling, since the Obverses are so chock full of varieties and MD's. Of the 3 that I found, they had 2 different Obverses, one of which was one of the mangled triple/quad punch of the N in Canada. But they never married Obv/Rev at the same time ... when one wore out, they just changed it. The offset seems most like MD and that makes sense with me seeing 3 different types of offsets on mine ... would correspond to the die getting loose and looser in the keeper. Thanks for bringing this to all our attentions .. as if 1881 needed any more oddities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
824 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that is the second 1 of the date, it could be a multiple die clash. I have seen single die clashes in the same area.

Here's are photos of a couple of them.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where do you think that the clash came from .. he ribbons? I think that the small inside ribbon could be it. It would be difficult to have MD that just affected a single digit, although it looks like an MD "shadow" doubling. A clash makes more sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4912 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's only the 1 that shows the tripling I would suggest that it's a repunched digit.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found another just like the one that Phil posted above .. seemingly just a single shadow/underpunch on the left side and much wider at the top than the OP. I now have 2 like the OP's (triple and narrow at the top) and 2 like Phil's .. single and wide at the top. If it was a repunch, the serif at the top of the "1" would be involved to the left side and they aren't .. they are clean. But there is a little "something" on 2 of mine laying right on top of the "1". Who knows what it is/was.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dan from Crystal Lake had these posted as die clash on his old website I have a couple as well it was the last 1 in the date.

I think I remember reading about a double punched 1 on the first 1 in the date that Griffin wrote about I might have one I'll check.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3195 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, Griffin Gr-87 is the "clash". From the Bust 1 section: "The N of Regina and Canada show only minor signs of being recut. A line to the left of the last 1 in date. A die break through the R in Victoria and N in Canada. Rarity 2.

Griffin gives Gr-88a as the R/P'd first 1 in date. " The first 1 of the date is double punched, slanting right. The N of Regina has a bar on top and the N of Canada is recut at the right side and left top. Rarity 4.
Pillar of the Community
United States
824 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the front of Victoria's neck is the feature that clashed the reverse die. It's in the right location.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1599 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I did have a DP1 in the first date I can't find it, but I do have 2 in MS of the last 1 in the date one is like the one Phil posted and this one I'll post pictures of the top of the 1 is different than the others I have the pictures are all the same coin

EDIT: I should also mention that they all 3 Reverse have different Obverse on the one's I have, my single serif N has the same last 1 as Phils
Edited by papeldog
09/29/2020 11:12 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05