Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Tell Me If These Are Die Trials Or Display Pieces ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 244Next Topic  

Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
They seem to be lead covered with bronze/zinc/silver. Any help would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4605 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are lead, I wouldn't handle with bare hands
Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, gotcha. Color looks like lead. Might be something else.
Edited by CTH
09/28/2020 5:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2421 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2020  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wires are to attach the medal halves to, who knows, a book, a piece of furniture, your shop counter, even a uniform.
These replicas of prize medals were made so that winners could advertise their prowess by putting replicas of the prize pretty much anywhere they would fit. It was a common practice, particularly with exhibition prize winners.Sometimes wires were inset and at other times a heavy putty or cement like adhesive.

One example here, isfrom the Great Exhibition 1851, I hope that you can see what look like fibres of heavy velvet.

Canada
26 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CTH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@alganbagerap Thanks for that info, I was wondering about the pins in the back. I thought they were used to lift the medal out of a mould of some sort. And now come to thinnk of it, I do remember seeing these types of things on furniture once. I thought maybe these were what is called 'Appliques' but I thought appliques are usually very thin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3745 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were often electrotypes, which are often excellent copies. Another reason they were made was to display both sides of the medal at the same time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05