Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Found Old Nickels Metal Detecting In Manitoba - Feedback Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 420Next Topic  

Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  2:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add brad1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, this is my first post.

I am on metal detecting/magnet fishing forums, but after today's find, I thought I'd join this one and a post some photos for feedback.

I usually get rusty junk and fishing lures, but today I found lots of nickels from 1922-1968, with the 1951 (Beaver - High relief?) being of interest, as well as the 1944 Victory coins (missing chrome?) - based on a quick look at coinsandcanada). There were also some commemorative dollars.

I know nothing about coins so please give feedback and advice. I have not attempted to clean them... many were found underwater.

They were found near Winnipeg.

Thanks - Brad

Edited by brad1982
09/29/2020 2:27 pm
Valued Member
Canada
184 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what a haul from your detecting adventure!
it almost looks like you found someone's cached collection.
Sadly detected coins value mainly is precious metal content and interest...most corroded coins are worth face value
But I'm sure you had a hoot pulling all those coins out!
Learn More...
United States
90999 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3192 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great prospecting day that you had! Sadly, those environmentally damaged coins are just face value. But, hey, you've got $15 worth of nickel dollars. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1595 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice finds like others have mentioned enviro damage try dipping them you have nothing to lose anyway it might help some . I think the 1951 high relief might be worth something if its not to bad who knows
Canada
3 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brad1982 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind feedback all.

A lot of the dirt is surface mud which is coming off quite easily, as most of these coins were actually underwater. I might clean them up and repost a photo once I'm done.

Someone at work figures that maybe a person's ashes were scattered with their coin collection?... If that's the case I now feel bad! It Could also have been an angry spouse who threw away a cheating partner's collection.. who knows...

Thanks again - Brad
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3715 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of them, the second from the bottom, is a Winnipeg trade token. No cash value, and very little collector value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
590 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and welcome
that is a nice little collection you have.
looks like a fun hobby
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05