Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Magnetic Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
OK people there have been a few reports of magnetic coins from this year and others but most are attributed to plating experiments of such coins. So the question is raised again could there have been some playing around with materials at the mint to seek alternatives for the cooper penny due to costs to produce? I currently have a 1964 D Lincoln cent with some interesting toning but within the weight +/- of the penny and the 19 mm Diameter spec. This coin is subject to magnetism but copper in color.After some research monel comes very close to the SG number(.93 ) which is also magnetic. Pictures to come later.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. Don't forget the Coffee
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pics

United States
34 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be clear, this coin does not react to a normal fridge magnet. However when laying on a flat surface and using a neodymium disc magnet 12 mm or larger the coin can be lifted. However once you start to tilt or rotate the magnet and coin it will slid off the magnet. This process show slight magnetic characteristics nothing like a 43 steel which will jump off the flat surface when this type of magnet gets within close proximity?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1353 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper is paramagnetic, using too strong a magnet isn't helpful.
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, non ferrous metals can be slightly attracted to the strongest magnets. I try to find something stronger than a fridge magnet, but not a large rare earth magnet.
United States
34 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input. Now every coin I look at is scrutinized in several ways with the magnet test being one of them. To date no other penny other than the steel varieties has ever exhibited this characteristic, now was this thing subjected to a CT scan or other wise? The specific gravity tests results of monel is curious to me. I always respect any opinion and input because I am in no way a expert on any of this but I am a well informed Ham And Egger. So now a lab test is next we will see..........
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19653 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As already stated many metals can be someone magnetic but only to a small degree. And pending on the metal used by the Mint, could be a slight amount of something in a batch of metals used.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05