Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 LMC--Abe's Got A Tooth Pick Or Cigarette?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 315Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Unusual and humorous image of Abe on this coin that I thought I would share--it appears he has a tooth pick or cigarette hanging out of the right side of his mouth.
Nothing to get excited about as far as value, I know. Any thoughts about the cause? Post mint damage or something else?

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No idea but that don't look like a regular Cig.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
943 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close AM or wide AM?
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, it has the wide AM. But it is a very unusual coin and I will keep it in my collection.
Any insight about what may have caused this anomaly?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i.m not seeing it, I think you are trying to hard to see something that isn't there..
Pillar of the Community
United States
3747 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing anything unusual either.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
C'mon Silverwolf, and those of you who are Bedrock, Pillars and others in the Community. Some help, please. Are you going to tell me that this is a "Normal" coin? I have no opinion other than there is clearly an anomaly that looks like something is sticking out of Abe's mouth. I'm just asking what might cause this.
SensibleSal66 saw it. No one else?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3114 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i looked again, at the 3rd photo, there is nothing there that is note worthy,
Edited by silverwolf
09/30/2020 9:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Silverwolf, are you discounting the anomaly which appears in the the 1st and 2nd photos for some reason?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing either.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay. I am really surprised that some in the Community are in denial about an anomaly appearing on this coin. It's not a big deal--maybe its PMD, or something else unexplainable. I don't know what the cause of it is, so it's not like I'm advocating it's a DDO.
Below are two coins in my possession. The first is the obverse of a "normal" 1992 Lincoln penny. The second is the obverse of this 1992 penny with the image of something sticking out of the right side of Abe's mouth. I have highlighted the areas in question. To me, the second looks different in the area highlighted when compared with the first
TAKE A LOOK....

I rest my case. Anyone agree that the two images highlighted look different? If so, any thoughts as to what may be the cause?
Thanks for your comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2471 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see absolutely nothing. Both are slightly dirty Lincoln cents.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you hfjacinto, silverwolf and merclover. SensibleSal66 and I see the anomaly on this coin. Anyone else willing to offer an opinion?
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at several other obverses of 1992 LMCs, there should be a wider, fuller beard near Abe's mouth which does not appear on this coin. Rather, on this coin there is a tubular portion of the beard which is separate and singular--and because it is near Abe's mouth it looks like a tooth pick or cigarette. Some will say that all they see is Lincoln's beard and not an anomaly on this coin. But to me this sure looks different than the normal coin.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  02:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what it is, but I see it. It looks like the fold in the cheek (same shape), going south-west from the mouth, except lower than the first fold as if it was doubled.

Then again, maybe it's just a zinc bubble, I have no idea.

Both top images.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05