Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bi-Centennial Ike, Gold Toned. What's The Story On This Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 437Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stanster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
sorry if this the wrong forum. I found this in a box it is gold in color, not silver. any ideas if this is a special coin? if so, can anyone direct me to a link about this coin just curious. thanks

Learn More...
United States
91156 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A golden toned Ike is not uncommon. I have a few in my set. My 1976 V1 is a good example and my 1978 is my favourite.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wondering about your photography. I do believe the coin has a gold tone--not debating that. I have toned Ikes also. Your photos appear to be a ways out of 'white balance'. Would be interesting to see images taken with natural light, and not over saturated.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stanster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am using the usb camera from plugable. I'm not sure how to adjust other than the dial, and a skylight. should I move to another room with less natural light? I will try another pic to see if it changes enough. any tips on photos is greatly appreciated. In addition, I may have not used the correct term. it looks like gold plated or something. weighs 22.67g

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16978 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2020  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it isn't toned but a light plating job. I base this on the fact that there is little color change on the edge between the three layers.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1187 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone bronzed it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4713 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight you listed is correct (within tolerance) for a standard copper-nickel example of an Eisenhower dollar. It is too light to be a silver version or an unrecorded gold version.

Any observed color difference due to toning or plating happened after it left the Mint. In the condition shown, it is worth $1.00. Sorry!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19688 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess it is not a real Gold one.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JCWhitney home plating kit? Popular in the 1970's.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Learn More...
United States
91156 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the condition shown, it is worth $1.00. Sorry!
All Ikes are priceless!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16978 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All Ikes are priceless!

Meaning no matter what price you ask you won't get it.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
91156 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Meaning no matter what price you ask you won't get it.

Good thing I am not selling.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 437Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05