Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1880 5 Cents -Comments And Grade I Can Anticipate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  12:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please give it your best shot based on the pictures.
Thank you all for your input here.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
568 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be the first brave soul to cry warning here.

It looks suspicious to me:
Why are there brushed horizontal lines across the surface of the reverse?
The detail looks almost too precise to be from the period.
The leaf at underside 7:30pm is just veins, no leaf.
Odd looking clash marks outside the lips. Double die?
The dies cracks appear to go all the way into the rim and they also are running through the letter T almost evenly which looks odd.

I could be totally wrong. I'm a Newfoundland collector, not a Canada one. If it is real, its a beauty and I'd grade it MS.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1708 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64 IMO lines on rev are die polish lines, on obv are a clash
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3243 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you overlay photos to see what in the Reverse is clashed on the Obv.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Okie,
Am not sure what you are asking
Sorry, I do not have SW to do overlays.
however, if somebody can do that, be my guest. Just PM me and I will send high def images.

Valued Member
Canada
172 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dollar 1935 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for doing that.
could someone enlighten me what this would / could achieve or prove?
I will soon buy or improve my photo SW and, should this feature be included? presently I use an old version 14 ACDsee photo SW.
So, for example, what does this specific overlay tell us?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3243 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It tells you what specific part of the reverse design has clashed the Obverse die. In this case it's the leaves, etc that are messing with Vicky's forehead, nose, lips and neck ... all the anomalies that seem to show on the OP's photo. But there does seem to be something else going on with the tip of the nose and the lip/chin.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/15/2020 12:27 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05