Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unattributed Coin 27/30 - Contemporary Counterfeit Of Gold?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 531Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
3769 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a weird one. I'm now fairly sure it's a contemporary counterfeit of a gold coin, but 1) I'm not sure which gold coin, and 2) I'm not sure whose gold coin.
[And 3) I'm not entirely convinced it's a contemporary counterfeit.]

At least I no longer think it's the normal cross-in-wreath...

...OK, I didn't realize those pics were that bad. I'll do some white-background pics later.

15 mm, 1.07 grams.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3769 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and 2) I'm not sure whose gold coin.
I'm still not sure, but I can make a fairly good guess: Libius Severus.

Specifically, I'm reading, with various degrees of confidence, DN [L]I[B]IVS S[EV]E[R]S (sic) PF AVG.

...I really should just try to make a pic in better lighting. Maybe tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3769 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did manage to take a better pic, which... made the whole thing even more complicated.

My current best guess at the legend: DN [I]VLIVS [O?]xx[E?]x[O?][S?] PP AV.
(Also, if that helps, that's a rho-cross in the wreath, not a plain cross.)

The problem is that "IVLIVS" is fairly clear, but I see no way to get "NEPOS" out of the next 6-7 letters, and I can't find any other name that would qualify.

I really liked the "Libius Severus" solution, but the fourth letter (second after DN) is clearly V, so I don't know how to interpret that any more.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 531Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: