Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Unattributed Coin 27/30 - Contemporary Counterfeit Of Gold?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,056Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
This is a weird one. I'm now fairly sure it's a contemporary counterfeit of a gold coin, but 1) I'm not sure which gold coin, and 2) I'm not sure whose gold coin.
[And 3) I'm not entirely convinced it's a contemporary counterfeit.]

At least I no longer think it's the normal cross-in-wreath...

Unattributed-Coin-27/30---Contemporary-Counterfeit-Of-Gold? Unattributed-Coin-27/30---Contemporary-Counterfeit-Of-Gold?

...OK, I didn't realize those pics were that bad. I'll do some white-background pics later.

15 mm, 1.07 grams.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and 2) I'm not sure whose gold coin.
I'm still not sure, but I can make a fairly good guess: Libius Severus.

Specifically, I'm reading, with various degrees of confidence, DN [L]I[B]IVS S[EV]E[R]S (sic) PF AVG.

...I really should just try to make a pic in better lighting. Maybe tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
5186 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2020  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did manage to take a better pic, which... made the whole thing even more complicated.

Unattributed-Coin-27/30---Contemporary-Counterfeit-Of-Gold? Unattributed-Coin-27/30---Contemporary-Counterfeit-Of-Gold?

My current best guess at the legend: DN [I]VLIVS [O?]xx[E?]x[O?][S?] PP AV.
(Also, if that helps, that's a rho-cross in the wreath, not a plain cross.)

The problem is that "IVLIVS" is fairly clear, but I see no way to get "NEPOS" out of the next 6-7 letters, and I can't find any other name that would qualify.

I really liked the "Libius Severus" solution, but the fourth letter (second after DN) is clearly V, so I don't know how to interpret that any more.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,056Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Forums