Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1987 Lincoln Cent With Textured Finish

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 392Next Topic  
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Straight out of the mint packaging. I like the textured surface and think they should use it on more coins. Looks better in a larger photo.

Edited by gunbarrelcoins
10/19/2020 12:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11130 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  03:11 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a plating issue. Interesting.

In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52097 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47361 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like rolling lines that didn't get removed during the strike. Most of the time they don't show up until the BU finish is gone. Other times they show on the planchet and weaker on the strike:

Note on the un-struck area, how the lines are there before the strike and they weaken after the strike. They don't warrant a premium as they are common to find on zinc cents. You can see them after the finish goes away on other denominations also:

]img\https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49..._WORLD_1.jpg

Unlike woodies, these will wear off the higher devices. On a woody the imperfections of the mix of the raw material will be seen even when the coin goes through wear:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gunbarrelcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop! I was wonder what they were, I didn't see any descriptions on CONECA that fit. Just found Error-Ref.com which has a lot of error variety listings with photos that I need to look through.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1212 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's commonly called "roller lines", you find more info on it by searching "planchet striations".

it's not the same as Die striations or polishing lines persay. it's the soft zinc getting marked up as it's being rolled out to spec thickness, and then the strike not obliterating it when the coin is struck.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
10/19/2020 11:56 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47361 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also not to be the same as die striations caused by Machine Doubling.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 392Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05