Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few Questions On How To Start Coin Roll Hunting

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,196Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Avoid repeated gifting. It's the fastest way to see your silver dry up. I've nothing against tellers personally, I married one.
An annual treat would be okay I suppose. Also, never mention the word silver when asking for halves, or any other coin for that matter.

Never return your searched coins to your source. Personnel may seem courteous, but they are cussing under their breath.

Always buy them all (halves), even if you suspect they are dumps. The tellers will love you. Also, there are still hunters out there that pass on the 40% halves keeping only the 90%. I've collected multiple solid silver rolls over the years by buying all the halves in the vault that "had already been searched", because there were silvers cashed in by non-collectors, mixed in with searched dumps.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
2085 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing I would add... invest in a slim scale you can put inside a small bank bag. When I get customer wrapped rolls, before accepting them, I weigh them. A nickel roll should weigh right around 200 grams. If it weighs 197, rest assured a Penny (or sometimes a Dime) has been put in its place. If it weighs 190 grams, you're shorted two nickels.

A roll of Dimes should weigh about 113-114 grams, a roll of quarters 227-228 grams - if they weigh more (like 115 grams or 229-230 grams respectively0, there's a chance one or more of the coins is silver.

Now the scale will not work for One Cent coins, obviously, as the rolls can weigh anywhere between 125 and 155.5 grams depending on how many coppers are in them.
Edited by John77
10/24/2020 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get the credit union thing; however, I personally have had 0 (zero) problems working with banks over the many years. Develop good faith, cordial relationships with the people working in these institutions, and be courteous and reasonable.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I get the credit union thing; however, I personally have had 0 (zero) problems working with banks over the many years. Develop good faith, cordial relationships with the people working in these institutions, and be courteous and reasonable.
Yes I agree with your statement about banking personnel; in my experience they were great. It was the horrendous fees that I could not escape. Free this, free that...not for long though, never failed. Every single bank that I've been with has imposed multiple fees, no matter what I did to comply the fees returned.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One thing I would add... invest in a slim scale you can put inside a small bank bag. When I get customer wrapped rolls, before accepting them, I weigh them. A nickel roll should weigh right around 200 grams. If it weighs 197, rest assured a Penny (or sometimes a Dime) has been put in its place. If it weighs 190 grams, you're shorted two nickels.
You are very fortunate to have a bank with the patience to allow you to weigh rolls. I've seen accounts cancelled for less than that...of course, if you are buying a couple rolls here or there it might not be an issue. If I'm buying $500-$1,500 worth of rolls at a time (which I might do several times per month), there's no way personnel are going to allow me to weigh several hundred rolls and replace the shorts...not only do I not have the time, but I'm going to wear out my welcome very fast.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
2031 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've yet to take a scale into a bank--suspect I never will.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2085 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You are very fortunate to have a bank with the patience to allow you to weigh rolls. I've seen accounts cancelled for less than that...of course, if you are buying a couple rolls here or there it might not be an issue.

Well, I guess I have three banks that are "patient" with me. All kidding aside, it goes very fast. Unless I'm buying a box of coins, I usually purchase 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 rolls at a time. Five or ten rolls tend to be for Dimes and the rare time I buy Quarters. With Nickels, I'm quite often buying 15-25 rolls at a time - this is where it comes in most handy. One roll they tried to give me at the one bank was five nickels short - weighing in at 175 grams. Three others were one nickel short.

I got VERY positive input from all three banks. One even mentioned they're looking to invest in a scale so they don't get shortchanged by customers. Total win/win.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I got VERY positive input from all three banks. One even mentioned they're looking to invest in a scale so they don't get shortchanged by customers. Total win/win.
Nice, the places here seem too busy to want to deal with that. Very few banks/CU's here accept rolled coin anymore. They point to the direction of the coin counter.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Learn More...
United States
92272 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Normally no fees for anything, including the counting machine. Plus, as a member you are part owner. I've been with a dozen different banks over the years and they all had multiple insane fees.

Quote:
Free this, free that...not for long though, never failed. Every single bank that I've been with has imposed multiple fees, no matter what I did to comply the fees returned.
I agree.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BostonCornhusker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is all good input.

So far, I've established a good rapport with a manager at my first bank. He's assured me (for the foreseeable future) that he is willing and able to order me a box of halves a week.

I've opened an account with another bank that has multiple branches along the way home from the 3 cities I work in, and this bank has a (fee free) coin counter. I plan on dumping coins at different bank branches to not overload each branch, but I was told by one manager that he'd accept $500/wk as long as I have the patience to run it through the machine.

So, Bank A will order for me, and multiple branches of Bank B will be my dump sites.

Anything (aside from CUs) that I need to look into?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4084 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BC

It sounds like you are on the right track! Good luck.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BostonCornhusker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I made my first error already. I called my ordering bank today to get a box of halves, and they told me they order on Thursdays, not Fridays. So, I have to wait an additional week to get a box. Good thing this isn't a get rich quick scheme!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05