Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Carson City Dimes And Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  12:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Freefall23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have read lots of discussions in the past regarding the topic of cleaned coins, but have yet to read opinions on very rare early date Carson City coins. Let's take for example an 1870-CC quarter (Genuine -Damage-VF Details), which is for sale on Collectors Corner for just under $13,000. There is also an 1870-CC quarter ( PCGS F-15) for just over $24,000. According to PCGS auctions records,two have sold this year, six sold in 2019, two sold in 2018, and so-on. Lets start with the first example. Let's say I wanted to purchase that particular coin. How in the heck do know if that's a "fair" price? The same exact coin was sold on Heritage in 2017 for $9,000. Has the coin appreciated that much? A second comparison was a VF-20 that sold for $16,800 in January of 2019. Is the "correct" price what the "buyer is willing to spend?" Is there an easier way to come up with prices for coins that are for sale today, and the last similar one sold 4 years ago because it's very rare. Early CC dimes fall under this same category of pricing, cleaned, details, damaged, etc, and very seldom come to auction. I would like to purchase one of these early Carson City Coins, it's just hard to know "the right price." I don't have any issues buying a cleaned coin from CC for the simple fact I think it's a really cool piece of history. I just would like some differing opinions on how one would approach this so I don't make a bad decision. I know some will say...don't buy those coins, but I wan't to, just at a "fair" price. Thanks for any help,
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36445 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3824 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Others can add more I am sure, but with scarce coins there is no established market price. Thus prices can vary wildly/ widely depending on how badly the item is wanted by whoever is bidding on it. These items are often auctioned, thus making bidding wars possibly.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You mention the previous prices these coins sold for and the fact they do not come to market often. As oriole pointed out, auctions often have bidding wars that can cause the price to be well above value.

What is fair? Fair is what the person who buys the coin thinks is a good price. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
So the better question you need to ask yourself is how bad do you want to have one of these coins in your collection and how much are you willing to spend? If people here say a "fair" price (not value) is $7,000 (made up number) are you really going to not attempt to get this coin that may not be available again for a year or more? You are not asking about coins that appear every week/month according the information you provided.
So if you are willing to pay $13k (or can negotiate for a lower price) and want the coin then what difference does it make what we say is a fair price - answer is none at all. Just my opinion.

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
10/22/2020 06:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2154 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the history you're buying. Virginia City. The Comstock Lode runs parallel to that street, about three blocks down the hill and 1000 feet underground. It was almost completely mined out by 1880.

I prefer these, which have a lot of wear from circulation....which is part of the history....

Looking back over the last 20 years, I view 2x gold melt as a fair price for common date worn cc eagles and half eagles. It's unlikely any of them would get more than a "details" grade.

What's fair is what YOU'RE willing to pay. And one coin inevitably leads to another. Based on my interests I think the early cc seated silver is overpriced. All the same, this details 1870-cc dollar makes a good buckle...

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/22/2020 07:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52065 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check past auction records, starting with Heritage.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19838 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Prices of coins, cars, stamps, swords, etc. are simply what someone will pay for them.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is the most recent details coin I bought. It was purchased through David Lawrence Auctions for $68.00, well under the average of $550 for a straight same grade example. This date took some time finding at a price I felt comfortable with. I researched the average market price weighing both the cause and condition of the details grade bidding accordingly with a maximum number in my head. That number, I believe at the time, was $400. Had the opening bid been any where close to my number I would have passed. So to the coin in question, and from my perspective, the price you listed seems about where I'd be if buying. Based largely on the "rarity" and the difference from a straight grade. Unless it possesses above average eye appeal I would pass if it nears 14.

ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
10/24/2020 10:42 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05