Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 D Lincoln Cent Lamination Error? DDO And/Or DDR?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 306Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  5:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 1960 D LMC looks particularly brassy and shinier than other 1960 Ds I've come across (side by side picture included below). Weighs within the normal tolerance at 3.07g. Has a few spots of unmixed metal, particularly noticeable to the left of the first T in TRUST. On the obverse, there's a die chip above the 6 in the date, on the side of the R and outside the upper left corner of the first T in TRUST. And some type of lamination error (?) under and around LIBERTY. On the reverse, there is two die dents (I think these are die dents?) under the C and E of CENT, and another smaller die dent on the rim by the designer's initials. And various little die chips and cracks throughout. Looks like there may be some doubling as well? Not sure about this, as it could just be from the state of the coin or MD.

Any help with this one? Was searching around the variety sites too but can't seem to nail this one down.

Edited by almostpennylane
10/23/2020 7:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal small date Denver coin. But it appears to be polished. Note how all the devices are flattened and the shine which is not natural.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coop! I could see the coin being polished, but I'm failing to see how that would cause the other unmixed metal dot in the field, die chips, and die dents? Particularly whatever is underneath the E in CENT. Would a corrosive polish cause this?

As an additional note, I pulled this out of an $70 estate sale lot I bought on ebay. The seller described the lot as all proofs, but once I received, it became clear that was not the case. From this lot, there was maybe 25 coins in coin capsules all in a box together that I am almost certain is part of someone's DDO/DDR collection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47344 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, there have been no proof coins from Denver. All the proofs were from Philadelphia until 1968 when they used the re-opened San Francisco Mint (Closed from 1955-1965) with the added 'S' mintmarks. (The 1999-P SBS is a proof from Philly and also West point strikes proofs as well, but not sure when they started) So it is not a proof coin, but an altered coin. All proof coins are only used for a limited number of strikes. (3K coins for die with 6K or more strike) So seeing the extreme die wear also confirms this is a business strike coin. They BS coins are pretty much used till the die, dies.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
87 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add almostpennylane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh no that's not what I meant, sorry if my wording was misleading in my previous comment. I definitely never thought this was a proof coin. I am not that novice anymore haha. That was more to say the seller had no idea what they were actually selling. There was a handful of legit proof coins in the lot, but also a whole other bunch within the lot that the seller mistakenly assumed were proof coins. The real proof coins were all in labeled and priced coin flaps, but there was a few business strikes in coin flaps that had nothing written on them. And then, in addition to the proof coins, there were those ~25 coins in capsules I had mentioned. Which circles back to my point of the seller listing the entirety of the lot without actually knowing what the coins were. My last coin post (1968 P LMC WWHO-001 as it turned out) was from the same ebay lot and part of the ~25 DDO/DDRs. The coin in this post however was not ones of the capsuled coins, but one of the ones in an unmarked flap.

Basically is the treasure chest of my many many ebay lot purchases.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05