Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kansas City Bus Token? (Id: Kc Bus Token)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ethan Parmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have this bus token (sorry for low image quality, my camera just won't focus for some reason) that says K.C. R.Y.S. Co - 1/2 fare. I know this is a Kansas City Bus Token, because I have found similar ones. I have seen full fare tokens, but can't find anything about this half fare one. Does anyone know what year this is from or how much it is worth?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4775 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Visit www.tokencatalog.com and then search within State=Missouri, City=Kansas City and Exact Phrase = rys.

Several should pop up. The listings do not appear to give a date when each token was in use, however, or a current value.

I checked eBay for current market values, but there isn't much currently to go on. One 1/2 Fare Token is listed for $20 or Best Offer - a couple of Full Fare tokens that were listed previously for $1 didn't get any bids. So, which is the better proxy?

Maybe a knowledgeable transportation token collector will stop by with the answers. I will say, however, that I would be surprised to learn that the token commands a high price in the market - most don't.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ethan Parmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you send me the ebay link? I can't find it. The token listing on the other website just gives me the details which I already knew.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Token for Kansas City Rys Co 1/2 fare first appeared in 1917. Listed under Kansas City 440 section. Value would be higher than the full fare token. The obverse and reverse should be the same, but I am not sure what that would be currently as I have not purchased transport tokens in a number of years. I pulled this date from the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue 4th edition (1983)

Nice item to have in a transportation collection.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ethan Parmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck, but I'm not actually new to the community. I was slightly active from 2018 to 2019, but got locked out of my account, could not get back in, and after a year of contacting the forum admin, did not receive any messages back.
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05