Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Septimius Severus Denarius Ric 1 Rome Or Alexandria Mint?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 379Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  11:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello friends,
There are three Septimius Severus Denarius. RIC 1 Struck 193 AD. IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head right / FIDEI LEG TR P COS, Fides standing left, holding Victory and vexillum.
http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric....rius?lang=en
But the denarius of S.Severus with the same legend were struck also in Alexandria, Egipt RIC 349
http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.....349?lang=en
The Mints can only be identified by style. I need the help of experts who could establish whether the Alexandria mint is among these three denarius. Thanks in advance to everyone who will take part in the discussion.

Edited by pastpost
10/24/2020 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are Rome. Alexandrian have FIDEI LEG TR P COS II.
Here are my Alexandriana of the type

Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@ - Thanks a lot. I was waiting for your reply knowing that you are an expert on the Eastern mints of the S.Severus
It must be a mistake in OCRE in discription RIC 349
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1770 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you follow their link to the BM example yu will see that it also ends COS II
Regards,
Martin
Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@ - You are right.Many thanks. On the photo of the denarius in BM is COS II
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many examples of the Alexandria mint coins are missing much legend or in less that great condition. There are a few coins of another type that show COS dating but I believe current thinking places this type late in the period of operation of the Alexandria mint so COS II would be correct for all. I am not sure when the first Septimius coins were issued their but the earliest tetradrachms are LB (September 193 - August 194) so few coins would be possible with 193 dating and that assumes the mint understood the COS dating system.

Is there anyone at the BM currently interested in these coins? They received the best part of the extensive Bickford-Smith collection in 1997 but have published nothing. The first of my three was the castoff from the collection auctioned by CNG. I assumed they had better or at least more examples.

Valued Member
France
138 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pastpost to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maridvnvm@ - It's great!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 379Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05