Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Fold Your 2x2s? Quick Poll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question

I personally stapled 99% of mine with the fold/crease facing my Left (#1) I also posted a "How do you staple your 2x2s" poll.

The more answers the better! I am just genuinely curious.

Poll Choices
  Fold on your Left
  Fold on your Right
  Fold on the "Top"
  Fold on the "Bottom"

Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fold on the "Bottom" for me makes them easier to insert into the pocket pages.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense, I have noticed the coin dealers fold them on the top.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it on the left as it makes the flips fit much tighter in the vinyl pages. The top or bottom folded flips seem to be a bit loose and slip out the slots.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some 2x2's have a semi circular tag, some don't.
Some 2x2's are self adhesive, some are not.

I prefer the staple type with the tag folded over, at the bottom of the pocket, and with normal curved clinch staples.
That way, there is less of a chance of the 2x2 accidentally falling out, especially when using Mylar or polypropylene album pages.
Obverse first shown before turning the page, therefore the tag is below the portrait.

Some like the tag above the portrait and not folded, so the the 2x2 can be easily removed for close examination of the coin.

The folding of the 2x2 should have more to do with coin orientation in the album if that is the way you store your 2x2's.

Some collectors don't use albums; they store their 2x2's in square long boxes, and so how you fold your 2x2's has more to do with how the coin itself is aligned, either coin or medal alignment, and not with oin orientation in an album.

As a suggested guide,
have a look at the conventions on orientation that the TPG's have adopted to put your coins in slabs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philosophically, the OP's question boils down to
"horses for courses".
Edited by sel_69l
10/27/2020 7:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sel_69l

Yeah I have thought of using those but they cost atleast 2-3 times as much as the staple kind and all that adhesive goop so close to the coin might not be the best (from what I have heard) and just having to carefully insert the coin or carefully hold the flip and and shutting it. It all seems to much of a hassle, is there something up with the normal staple kind? I know staples can rust but if they are, you very well may have bigger problems.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper plated staples don't rust. That is what I have used for decades.
I don't use self adhesive 2x2's: if you wish to take the coin out of the 2x2, (eg to weigh it), the annotated 2x2 cannot be re used.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11131 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting poll. "Bottom" fold for me.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree interesting poll question and will be interested to find out if the replies are evenly distributed when we are done. I wonder if anyone doesn't do any particular configuration. My reason for having the fold on the left is that it is a little easier for me to hold the 2x2 with my left hand and staple the far end shut with my right hand as a first step in getting it secure in the packaging.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another intriguing poll would be how you label the 2x2s, just there are many more possible combinations for that than stapling or folding for example.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another intriguing poll would be how you label the 2x2s
I have gotten really slack on that, mostly because my penmanship is awful compared to twenty years back. Every time I do try to write on one I end up having to replace it.

Now I just rely on my spreadsheet to tell me what is what.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JBuck

You just number them? Km numbers?
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope, I just leave them blank. I have a section for each album page in the spreadsheet, just a matter of knowing the coin's album, page, and position. It is not all that efficient; having info on the holder would be preferred. I have looked into printing labels but have lacked motivation.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17615 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use an ultra fine fiber tip pen.

With all of my coins acquired for more than $100:
1. Date and how much paid. (eg $140 Aug 03) -all coins.
2. Info on the seller (eg dealer or auction with lot number), - helps with provenance.
3. With ancient and hammered coins,
...weight, and full description. With modern coins a lot of this info can be self evident, and so it is not included.

About 80% of my collection has coins that would be valued at less than $100, and in most cases, no information is included on the 2x2.

Cannot write any of the (sometimes very necessary) information for 1, 2, and 3 above on slabs, and so none of my coins are slabbed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This post should really be included in another thread.)
Edited by sel_69l
10/29/2020 05:29 am
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is a little easier for me to hold the 2x2 with my left hand and staple the far end shut with my right hand as a first step in getting it secure in the packaging.

With Spence. It's the only way I can keep the coin from moving before I can fully secure it.
I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 515Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05