Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Staple Your 2x2s? Relatively Quick Poll

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 682Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
The Cool Faces Represent The Coin And The Black Lines, Staples. Thanks for participating, I have also recently made a how do you fold your 2x2s poll.

I have pretty much always stapled my 2x2s like #1, a staple above and below the coin and one on the right, I havepreviously tried the triangle also.

Poll Choices

Learn More...
United States
92105 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2532 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't staple. I use Scotch Tape. When I buy coins, if they are shipped in stapled flips, the first thing I do is remove them and put them in a new flip. If it's a tiny coin, such as a silver IIIó piece, I use double sided tape between the flaps of the 2x2. I really don't want to risk the staples scratching the coin in the flip or making contact with other coins in the vinyl three hole punch pages I use to store my coins.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Yokozuna

I flatten my staples with some needle nose pliers and I dont use tape because of all that goo vapors and the like and they also dry out over time.
To remove the coins from the 2x2s, I cut the corner or so off and let the coin breathe, I don't know why anyone peels them open.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6878 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Choice 3 - but well out on the edge of the 2x2, nowhere near the coin as your diagram shows.

Important as well to discuss type of staples, which IMHO is more important the how/where they are applied.

Numismatic staplers are designed to flatten the back side of the staple - whereas office staplers leave a raised surface and sharp objects that can easily damage coins in contact with them.

Always use a numismatic stapler - and have a simple hand plier available to double flatten the staple back.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
10/27/2020 6:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3523 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the above. I fold it down from the top (i.e., the hinge is at 12 o'clock) and then I staple at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock.
Edited by KenKat
10/27/2020 7:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KenKat

On the corners?
That's what I do when I use my large dollar size 2x2s
Pillar of the Community
United States
3523 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Joe - I do them like #3 but no staple on the top - that's probably a lot more clear than how I originally said it.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KenKat

Ah, I see, must have had a brainfart or something!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36406 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fold on top,staple on bottom and on right side and on left side. Staples not too close to coin. Then I flatten all staples with a smooth jawed pair of pliers.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#4 for me, but inverted with the horizontal staple on top (fold on bottom). How close to the coin depends on the coin's thickness. Then I flatten staples with pliers.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Option 3.

I had a friend in my coin club (since passed away) who always used the three-staple method, leaving the hinge side staple-free. I pointed out to him that when you do this, the coins keep slipping out of the window, towards the hinge, as there's nothing to stop the coin from doing that if you don't put a staple there.

Quote:
I don't staple. I use Scotch Tape. When I buy coins, if they are shipped in stapled flips, the first thing I do is remove them and put them in a new flip. If it's a tiny coin, such as a silver IIIó piece, I use double sided tape between the flaps of the 2x2. I really don't want to risk the staples scratching the coin in the flip or making contact with other coins in the vinyl three hole punch pages I use to store my coins.

I'd find the risk of corrosive gases emitted by the scotch-tape to be a higher risk to the coins than staples. I use self-adhesive flips more often than not, on the assumption that the adhesive in the flips is coin-safe.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2322 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  01:31 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do what KenKat does.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use #3, but not as close to the coin as that diagram shows. I just use a regular office stapler, and am careful to not scratch any coin. Also, anyone who is using vinyl pages, STOP. Vinyl contains PVC, which can seep through the thin mylar window over time and cause PVC damage. Replace the vinyl with PVC-free pocket pages. Also, get an archival-safe binder as well. The gasses from pvc can cause toning.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3 But farther away from the coin.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19830 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#4 but farther from the coins.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 682Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05