Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Attica Athens Tetradrachm: Finally Got One!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 465Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been looking at these coins for years and finally picked one up at our local coin show. Apparently quite a few high-grade examples are being offered for sale but the prices don't seem to have come down much. What do you think about this one?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5310 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty! Love to see it toned up in a couple years.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17571 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up there with the most famous of ancient Greek coins.
They are not particularly rare, but they are very popular among collectors, and the fakers have known that for very many decades.
I have a lower grade example myself.

This one looks OK to me, but they should all be professionally verified. Mine was.

I admit: I am not skilled enough to do that.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
434 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an absolutely beautiful coin. Congratulations on the acquisition.
Learn More...
United States
23325 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, beautiful coin. That's one coin I have not been able to get to get.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11128 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:20 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I really like those.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36406 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin. It is one on my coin bucket list. Did you buy it raw? I hope it is genuine.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin. Great piece of history.

Congrats.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6015 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful!

Yes, a hoard of these classical owls was discovered a few years ago, and whoever bought it was wise enough to feed it into the market *very* slowly so as to not crash the price for them. The price has come down significantly; pieces like yours tend to hammer for around $400-500, whereas a decade ago they would have hammered for $800-1,000.

Despite the recent influx, I believe that Athens tets overall are still more rare than, say, a 1914-D Wheat penny, and demand will always exceed supply, so nothing short of a cataclysmic collapse of society or else the death of coin collecting as a hobby will ever bring coins like yours below the "several hundred dollars" price point.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17571 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attica Owls are very tactile.
They really like an honest chunk of money, more so than a modern machine made coin. Thick dumpy flan helps, along with the density of silver, at 10.5 gms/cc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2154 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice specimen! I windowshop them but I can never quite do it....
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3973 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just ... WOW!

Fantastic detail, and the flan size/shape just seems to accenuate it.

Thanks for sharing
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice birdie. Welcome to the club.
Sel is right: you've got to hold them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5315 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen any presentable examples for much less than $1000; mine cost $1150 which I thought was a relatively good deal. Bought it from an experienced dealer of ancients so hopefully it's genuine. I'm confident he will give me a refund if it were found to be a fake.
There is a big premium charged for examples with "full" helmet crest. I decided my coin should have a generally round flan, with centered strike on both sides, complete Athena profile, and sharp detail on the owl. This example meets those criteria and I'm very pleased with my purchase.
Thanks for all your comments!
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05