Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Could There Be Silver Coin In The Malaya 1948 King George VI 20 Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 221Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
According to Numista records there shouldn't be.

But I came across one that doesn't look Cupronickel. Below photo shows the #1 1950 CuNi 20 cent, #2 1943 0.5Ag 20 cent, #3 the aforesaid 1948 20 cent.

I did a frequency ping test with Bullion Test Free (which gives the peak resonances) and Precious Coin Tester Apps (which gives Silver ratings). Results summarized in table below.

As you can see the frequency of the said 1948 is nearer to a Silver coin than a CuNi one. It also score Good when the Rating App is set to 30% Silver. One issue is that it weighs about 8% lighter than standard 5.43g which may be attribute to the heavy worn down. I do not know anyone would be counterfeiting a common coin as such. I also went the extra mile to perform similar test for another different set of the 3 coins. From the table, results are consistent with the expected materials and coin dates.

Frequency plot for Coin #1 1950 Twenty Cents

Frequency plot for Coin #2 1943 Twenty Cents

Frequency plot for Coin in question #3 1948 Twenty Cents

I read that some coins during the transitional phase from Silver to CuNi could possiblity of planchet mixed up. Is there this remote possiblity, I have never heard of for Malaya Coins. How would one be able to confirm? And if that is indeed having some Silver content, would it be a valuable find?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
Singapore
51 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add, the aforesaid 1948 Twenty Cent also pass Neodymium magnet test to indicate the remote possibility of Silver content.
Valued Member
Netherlands
55 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight should be 5.69 (Krause), Silver is 5.43. the coin is hardly worn, it should be nearly full weight. It is unlikely that a planchet from the previous, silver issue was used (1945) because of the 3 year time difference. Could be plancet intended for another coin. I assume it was struck by the Royla Mint London. Would be interesting to check what other coins with same diameter but with weight of 5 grammes, and silver, were minted there in 1948.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 221Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05