Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You Vs NGC 1881-S And 1900-P Morgan Dollars

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 909Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  12:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can you guess what NGC graded each of these coins? Also, please give your opinions on luster and strike.

EDIT: I had complaints about posting more than one coin, so I'll going to tell you the grade of the 1881-S, and leave the 1900 by itself.

The 81-S is Gem MS-65.

Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/30/2020 12:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may want to do one coin at a time.
It gets a little confusing trying to grade both
in the same post...Not trying to be critical but just helpful here.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw others doing more than one, but I'll just do one at a time from now on. I was excited to share these coins with you guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
81-S, 63, nice luster, below average strike for an 81-s, but decent for the series.

1900, 64, very nice luster, above average strike for the date. ON a good day, it may go to a 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bit hard to make out the 81 lower obverse, needs a bit mite light there. MS-63, possibly 64.

I'd call the 00 an average/ just above avg. strike. Solid MS-64, maybe, maybe 65. Again, a bit tough to see the lower cheek area. Could just be because I'm on my phone.
Edited by Ty2020b
10/29/2020 3:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1881s Has a decent appeal with average strike.
Luster is evident. Obverse has a filmy touch in the field areas (not sure if PVC?) Reverse (I feel) is the better side of this coin. No real major dings or bag marks that distract with an Overall-Solid MS63 and on a good day possibly MS64 (Nice Coin)

1900p Above average strike on obverse with a weaker strike (IMHO) on the reverse. The eagle's breast is a little flat
with obverse looking pretty darn good from what I can tell being in a holder. It looks like this coin has been handled in a professional sense with upmost care. Lots of gleam and luster and that white bright appeal. No real major dings or bag marks that distract with an Overall Solid MS64 and on a good day possibly MS65
(Be proud this is a very nice coin)
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The filmy stuff is fingerprints, not PVC. It came in the NGC holder that way.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Morgan Nerd Posted - Today :40M ago
The filmy stuff is fingerprints, not PVC. It came in the NGC holder that way.

That's the reason I mentioned "filmy touch" as opposed to possible PVC. Basically on the holder from handling...OK, that's clarified.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, it's actually on the coin itself. In person, you can easily see the light brown fingerprint patterns! Maybe a grader or encapsulator mishandled it?
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Morgan Nerd Posted - Today :19M ago
No, it's actually on the coin itself. In person, you can easily see the light brown fingerprint patterns! Maybe a grader or encapsulator mishandled it?

Reference Talking Point on the 1881s:
Well, that was a good pickup on my observation from what I was seeing....but I honestly wasn't hoping it was on the coin itself...WOW!
Two Conclusions Here:
1) If fingerprints were already on the coin before it got to the grader, this may be a *MS Details Coin*
2) If grader put in holder without using gloves *Shameful*
I probably should change my opinion on the grade from this new information you've provided. However, if it did grade *Straight* I will stick to my original assertion which again is MS63 to a possible MS64
Edited by villagekid
10/29/2020 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a "details coin". It is straight. The coin is in one of those "fat" NGC holders, so it's over 20 years old. Plenty of time for old fingerprints to form. It's NEVER been cracked out or anything. I may be wrong, but I don't think TPG consider fingerprints to be a major part of the grade. The graders and ecapsulators NEVER use gloves!
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/29/2020 6:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add villagekid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's not a "details coin". It is straight. The coin is in one of those "fat" NGC holders, so it's over 20 years old. Plenty of time for old fingerprints to form. It's NEVER been cracked out or anything. I may be wrong, but I don't think TPG consider fingerprints to be a major part of the grade. The graders and ecapsulators NEVER use gloves!

If that is true about not using gloves THEY SHOULD!!
Since you said: "Never use gloves" would that also include Proofs? That would be wrong...very unprofessional if that's the case.

Quote:
While not giving anything away, I can tell you that you will be SHOCKED at the grade that the 1881-S has.

As far as being shocked?
Seriously, you're taking the fun at guessing the grade and belittling folks like myself who really are making an effort viewing your specimen coin with detail analysis. If this is the way you're going
to conduct your Gotcha guessing game "US vs TPG" why should anyone bother responding
Edited by villagekid
10/29/2020 10:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As far as being shocked?
Seriously, you're taking the fun at guessing the grade and belittling folks like myself who really are making an effort viewing your specimen coin with detail analysis. If this is the way you're going
to conduct your guessing game "US vs TPG" why should anyone bother responding

I apologize; I didn't think of it that way. I'll delete that post. And no, they don't use gloves at all, even for proof 70 coins.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They say they don't use gloves because it makes the coin harder to grip and they "might drop" the coin. They use a padded surface, why can't they use gloves. I admit cotton gloves make coins hard to grip, but what about nitrile gloves? I've found them to be the best for coins. By the way, you see all this for yourself on YouTube videos put out by NGC and PCGS themselves.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/29/2020 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9476 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins can be safely handled by the rims so gloves are not necessary.

1881-S: MS64. This date is so often found in gem condition that this nice example looks to fall just short.

1900-P: MS64 also. Luster and strike are average so the eye appeal is below gem IMO.

Both are very nice pieces, just not quite 65s to me (in these images)
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1881 s looks MS-64 the 1900 looks MS-65 to me
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 909Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05