Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 D Lincoln Wheat Ears Cent Possibly Plated?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,806Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
this weighs 2.98g and I do not believe it to be plated. it does however test positive for nickel (nickel alert) and has this HUGE scratch on the obverse. found in an old $50 sealed bank bag of Wheaties. Q. if it is a "wrong planchet" error ...Is it worth slabbing it and is a grade range possible?

Edited by Wrenes
11/02/2020 01:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will get a details-scratched with that scratch, but still might be worth stabbing if it is a wrong planchet. I'll let the pros chime in.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68974 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us the weight, please.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Only possibility, if it is a wrong planchet, that I was able to dig up from the Denver mint that year is the Colombia 2 centavo copper-nickel @ 3g.

Edit: not to be that guy, but this is a 20d, title says 21d.
Edited by Ty2020b
11/01/2020 11:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two scales ... one read 2.96g and other 2.9g
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm aware the philly mint made Argentina 10Centavos blanks in 1919-1920 (did not strike any). I purchased a 1920 10Centavos to see how close it looks to this penny.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops title is wrong!! Sorry. Can I fix this?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, below the title post time, click the pencil/paper icon to edit.

That is true, the 10 centavo blanks were also 3g. Another possibility.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also forgot the pic of huge scratch I took for post.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4125 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a side shot? My skepticism lies with this being a harder alloy and a smaller blank, I would expect to see a much weaker strike. The reverse does show more weakness than the obverse, but I wouldn't expect to see such full rims.

See what others say.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is pic of side... a regular 1920d on left. The coin we are discussing is on the right.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize for all the extra posts but I was looking at the weak reverse against the obverse. I cropped a pic I previously took with coin microscope to see the damage next to the date. If it were plated would I be able to see the original copper. I've included yet another pic. ( thank you and SORRY for my disorganized post! )
Edited by Wrenes
11/02/2020 02:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17958 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal cent, just exposed to a lot during it's life.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
555 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you've got all the signs for a wrong planchet. The 2 centavo is a perfect match up by mass, mint, year, size, and even the thickness (slightly thinner than a normal cent) along with the aforementioned weaker strike which would be expected for nickel.

To echo others though, with that scratch you're looking at a details grade, but authentication doesn't hurt
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad ... tested positive for nickel. Either plated or a nickel composite... mint was producing 75/25 copper nickel for some foreign countries.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrenes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has been authenticated by PCGS as a wrong planchet mint error..." stuck on a Colombia two Centavos". have not unboxed yet & they're a couple of weeks behind uploading a trueVeiw image. I will post a pic of the slab for the community this weekend. TY all for your help! :-)
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,806Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: