Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kennedy Half Dollar Bag Question?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 661Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  6:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add turbotim88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased from my local bank, a sealed plastic bag of Kennedy half dollars. When I got home and starting looking at the coins for silver/variations/etc.I realized the whole bag is 1999P coins! I did some checking online to see if there are any reported errors/variations for this year coin. Only thing I can up with is that this particular coin has a very low mintage of 8,900,000! My question is do I keep them because of the low mintage, or just return them to a local bank with a coin counter? Condition of the coins is either AU or Uncirculated. Any advice? Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53,643 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many are in this bag?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbotim88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I paid $1000.00 for the sealed bag.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But...
Quote:
How many are in this bag?
2,000?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbotim88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 2000
Bedrock of the Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! The reason I asked is because neither of my banks would 'sell' me any coins over a quarter denomination without adding a surcharge. I assumed you may have only gotten 1,800 or so. In other words, you got a deal!
Edited by atticguy
11/06/2020 12:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VictoryGarden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you handle that amount of money sitting and collecting dust? Sure, you can hold them and eventually sell them or maybe your Grandchildren will sell them and think about you. But I would keep a few rolls worth and turn the rest back in. Be sure and look for any errors and such and then turn them in and turn that money into more hunting for coins!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4,110 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd dump and run.

If you ever run into a case where a bank charges you to buy coin, one can always change banks. I used to do it almost as often as changing socks.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbotim88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Let me explain how I acquired this bag of half dollars. I coin roll hunt, so it's not unusual for me to ask my local bank/credit union to get me a box of nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, etc. I asked to order me a box ($500/50 rolls) of halves. When I went back to pick up the box, they explained to me that what they received wasn't a box, but a bag of halves ($1000 worth). The bag was sealed. I didn't really want to spend that much (was expecting $500), but I felt somewhat obligated as I asked them to get me the halves. Yes, I could have simply "passed" on these and asked them to try and get me a box. So, now I have all of these 1999P half dollars. The ONLY thing stopping me from going to the bank and dumping these in the coin counter is the low production # of only 8,900,000 made! As I mentioned before, these are either AU or Uncirculated coins! I really can't afford to hold onto these, but I don't want to make a mistake by dumping them either. Anyway, that's where I'm at. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tencentpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would probably try to sell them on EBay or Craigslist, and if no one seems interested, then dump them. That is what I would do if I was in your situation. I hope that this helps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53,643 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I think pick out a couple dozen of the nicest ones and return the rest.
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would give it a week or two effort of trying to sell some on ebay or coin groups on facebook. If not enough interest, then re-deposit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbotim88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments and advice.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 661Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05