Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Grade: Gold "End Of World War II 75th Anniversary" American Eagle

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,002Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  01:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GraphTheory to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I was fortunate enough to purchase one of the "End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Gold Proof" coins. I'm considering grading this coin. I see the recent sales on eBay are north of $10k.

I'm curious what your opinion is on if the value will continue to increase?

Some reasons I've heard why people think this gold proof will increase in value in the years to come:

Low mintage (~1900 minted)
First ever privy mark on an American Eagle
Last year of the current design (2021 will have a new design)

But part of me also thinks that the market price is +$10k just because of "hype". Would love to hear what you think. Hold/grade or sell this gold v75 proof?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Poll Choices
  Get it graded
  Don't get it graded, but hold
  Sell now while there is hype

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37073 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Can you post a link to the ebay coin that sold for 10g?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
Lebanon
279 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would grade it and keep it with me.
Edited by chronos
11/07/2020 05:19 am
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GraphTheory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John1! There are many. Here is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/End-of-Wor...AOSw3ZpfpHOP

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GraphTheory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi chronos! Would you be keeping it for personal reasons (you think it's cool), or keeping it because you are speculating that the price will increase past the $10-12k that it's going for right now in the market?

I personally think it'll go for more due to the low mintage numbers, but would love to hear what others have to say. Maybe this indeed is just a gimmicky coin whose hype will die down.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you purchase it with the intent to simply flip it? If so, then do it. Other wise keep it as a nice addition to a collection.

Quote:
But part of me also thinks that the market price is +$10k just because of "hype"

I would not disagree.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Edited by scopru
11/07/2020 07:07 am
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would if your fortunate enough for it to grade PF-70 it will be worth more in the long run even if/when prices subside
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20002 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd get it graded and then sell it.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
94115 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1799 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a Proof-70 bidding is up to $9000.00 but shipping is going to kill ya. Five hundred seventy five thousand dollars $575.000.00 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-End-o...100036.m2109
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GraphTheory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll keep an eye on that, thanks Jasper. I'll definitely look into how to get a coin graded. It seems like I can either do it myself by paying membership or finding a trusted dealer to help.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What grading outfit do folks like better - NGC or PCGS? Personally I like the clear PCGS holders better vs the white NGC holders. Does one or the other command more of a premium?
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a Proof-70 bidding is up to $9000.00 but shipping is going to kill ya. Five hundred seventy five thousand dollars $575.000.00

Hmm. Is it being delivered via spaceship or something?

On a more serious note, bidding ended at $15,100, which is actually right around where I expected that 70 to be (for now). In the long run, though, it probably will depend largely on the population/proportion of 70s.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jasper62, I looked into the shipping, and it appears that you can also opt for free local pickup and save the $575K. : P So seems to me that maybe they're trying to subtly encourage that rather than sending it with expensive insurance through the mail?
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2020  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I looked into the shipping, and it appears that you can also opt for free local pickup and save the $575K. : P So seems to me that maybe they're trying to subtly encourage that rather than sending it with expensive insurance through the mail?

On a serious note, Registered Mail is not that expensive for something like that (relative to the value of the item you're mailing) and they'll insure even cash if mailed via registered (lot of other services won't cover coins or bullion which is what makes RM attractive). It's just slower to be delivered due to the chain of custody involved with transporting RM.

Quote:
What grading outfit do folks like better - NGC or PCGS? Personally I like the clear PCGS holders better vs the white NGC holders. Does one or the other command more of a premium?

Different strokes for different folks, but both have pros and cons. You have to have a "membership" in order to submit coins to each company, but you can automatically obtain submission privileges to NGC by being a member of the ANA which has other benefits like free admission to their conventions (assuming the pandemic ends in time) and access to their magazine. PCGS requires a $69 fee for one year just for the privilege to submit to them, not including the grading fees itself. If you plan on submitting multiple coins in a year, they have higher tiered levels that include grading vouchers.

With that said, the perception is PCGS is a tougher grader so coins graded by them have a higher premium than a similar grade with NGC for the higher valued coins. Run of the mill coins I would personally send NGC anyway. However since this is a highly sought after coin, you may want to consider PCGS because of the perception. However, NGC is also offering a label that is exclusive to this set. People on here (and I agree) say "don't buy the label, buy the coin"; however, there are people out there that will pay more for the label which is another thing to consider.

Edited by mrpapageorgio
11/12/2020 10:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up the $149 PCGS membership and shipped off my AGE. Hoping for the best! Now I need to figure out 4 coins to use the voucher on since the AGE doesn't qualify.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 2,002Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05