Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noodling Australian 5 Cents List

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,247Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  6:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Started to noodle Australian 5 cents a few days ago and would like to compile a list of coins to lookout for.

So far on my list is:

1966 Long Spine
1966 Short Spine
1972 8.25m mintage
1985 & 1986 Mint Set Only
2001 Flamingo
2007 Double Head
2015 Missing 'SD'
2016 Decimal currency 4.798m mintage
2017 Banana's in Pyjamas
2019 Moon Landing
2019 New Effigy

Sticky beaks

Is there anything I'm missing?

Also I saw on Ebay something about small/large SD, small/big head. Can anyone provide more information please

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and information
Valued Member
Australia
342 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that's about it. From all I have read the missing SD is not a real option. It sometimes gets faint because of a filled die, but I am not sure there is actually a real "missing" SD

Oh - and there is the 2016 changeover variety. I am a bit confused with this one. I have read that the changeover coin is rare - but I have 50 of them and only one platypus version.
Edited by karloning
11/07/2020 7:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
849 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2017 Banana's in Pyjamas
2019 Moon Landing

Charl, as both of these are NCLT the chances of noodling either of these would be very slim.
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  04:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
missing SD is not a real option It sometimes gets faint because of a filled die, but I am not sure there is actually a real "missing" SD

Ah yes, I must have missed read my notes. Thanks for the correction

Quote:
these are NCLT

What does NCLT mean?

I believe I might have found sticky beak error... is the picture shown correct?

(Sorry second picture is a little blur)

Valued Member
Australia
342 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does NCLT mean?

Non circulating legal tender

In other words they are a mint issue or from a mint issue set. Not for general circulation
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have read that the changeover coin is rare - but I have 50 of them and only one platypus version

I've search $100 5 cents coins so far and still no 1972, 2016 decimal currency and 2018?

Is 2018 that hard to find?

Quote:
Non circulating legal tender

Got it, thanks for the info

Pillar of the Community
Australia
849 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2020  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is 2018 that hard to find?

It shouldn't be Charl ... according to the RAM 25.1 million were minted https://www.ramint.gov.au/five-cents

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1708 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Thanks for the info Mr T

It's so hard to tell the difference between small/large head and high/low echidna

Is there any trick or tips to distinguish the difference easier?

Also regarding to small/tiny SD

Is it due to die fill or an actual variety?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
927 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Filled in SD does exist for the 5 (Not just a faint or weak strike) but it yet to be seen if they going to be as collectable as the 1972 5 cent or 2 cent SD die fill. There definitely not as collectable as the 2007 Double heads or double tails or the Alien 5c, 2016 changerover die clash.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1708 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2020  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The large/small head is definitely tough, even in the hand, but if you've got one it should be obvious (I hung onto all that I came across until I could spot a different one).
The different echidnas are easier - we know which years are which so you should be able to find examples of each and see the difference (some years the gap at the top is easier to spot, other years the gap at the bottom).
The normal and small SD is just die fill I think but the tiny SD coins have a higher echidna.
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2020  03:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Alien 5c, 2016 changerover die clash

I just search on the internet and this looks interesting
Will add it to my hunt list!

Does anyone know about these 2 coins? I find it very common however not sure if worth keeping

- 2008 double outer ring front and back?

- Also 2006, there seems to be a line in between the milled rim

Sorry I can't post the picture at the moment but I will post soon when I have the chance
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1708 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the 2006 but the 2008 is due to the pre-rimmed coin blanks having a thicker than normal rim (apparently).
Valued Member
Australia
79 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry everyone for the late photo, been busy with work

Here are the photos regarding the coins I'm asking info about.

I find them very common however unsure the cause and if it's worth keeping.

2008 5 cents

Quote:
2008 double outer ring front and back

This is the picture of same 2008 coin front and back.

2006 5 cents line on rim

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1708 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Odd - never noticed the lines on the rim - I thought that was indicative of some sort of partial collar strike though I don't think it is in this case.
Valued Member
Australia
128 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add squaremealroundplate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's interestng that the RAM has updated the mintage figures for 2019 without an asterisk against each of the denominations, as it usually does.

The mintage figures for 2019 are only up to June 30th 2019 and, as I've written elsewhere a few times, the RAM continues minting the 2019 coins until they begin minting coins for 2020.

I could be wrong, but I still doubt if any 2020 CoA 50c or $1 MoR's will be appearing in circulation at all, just like the 2019 IRB and JC 50c which, luckily, have yet to be listed in security rolls.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05