Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1963 25 Cent An Error Coin? Or A Vise Or Hammer Job?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 505Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please help with this one.
Thanks
H

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8239 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Home-made
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53678 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree.
Edited by Coinfrog
11/16/2020 6:21 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9461 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see the outline of the rim and denticles...

I know you have handled lots of coins, so think of the minting process, and how much pressure it takes to strike a coin - it leaves me asking whatever would make you think this is real?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP, DBM and others
Are you guys suggesting that the coin itself is fake? Or that only the alterations on both sides are PMD?
I might interpret SPP's comment incorrectly. If so, I am sorry.
If you guys tell me the quarter is a Fake, MM might have mail coming.
I was never, and never will be seriously interested in the mechanical process of how coins become coins, or how errors become honest errors.
I truly know very little about the process, nothing beyond the basics. I collect Canadian coins since 1967 because I like the coins and history aspect of some. I do not really care about the process how they became coins and therefore I do usually not recognize PMD coins. However, I am guessing that there are some other members who would surely also like to know the reasons for some coins being designated with a PMD title. PMD is not always obvious to everyone and also perhaps not always correct. (I bet some members do not even know what PMD means)
Hence, a plausible, easy to understand explanation as to why it is PMD, would surely be welcomed and appreciated by many members. It might be a good learning idea.
This subject quarter will most likely be released into the wild and we will see if it surfaces somewhere.
Perhaps it will become the subject of another post by another member, or become an eBay listing when some "lucky" finder might try to sell it as an error coin. Who knows?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4654 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is real and has bullion value, but the error was PMD as long as the weight is right for 63 quarter
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3276 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the word Regina on the reverse, are the letters raised or incused ?
Edited by silverwolf
11/17/2020 5:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The words are raised
see new images

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1097 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is the other side close ups

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3655 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great pictures H .
Does look like PMD , but do yourself a huge favour and send these pix
To Fred Weinberg , he is a great third party to consult and would tell it
like it is . One of the worlds foremost authorities on errors and he would likely get back to you
in a few hours or so . Really great guy and he has absolutely no axes to grind .
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 505Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05