Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When To Roll Hunt Quarters From Bank

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
215 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  3:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
—i have been going to my bank and picking up rolls of quarters trying to find W mint from 2020 and 2019 past 2 yrs. So far no real luck. When is a good time to head to bank after one of the new quarters are released from mint generally speaking. Anyone know when the bank will get these new rolls of quarters from the mint? Any other helpful tips on roll hunting these quarters?—thanks
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never heard of the W mintmark on quarter. I guess I have to go through my rolls upon rolls of quarters.
I have no difficulty getting rolls. They usually ask me simply how many rolls I want. And this is cursing-in-the-church for sure, but I mainly use them for the laundromat.
Edited by NumisEd
11/24/2020 4:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
94085 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lilypop1111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a W mint mark on 2019 quarter in circulation but as west coast resident it felt like a TOTAL MIRACLE!
I think the W mark is MOST attainable as 'bonus coin' when buying collectible currency sets from US mint.. but they CAN BE FOUND in circulation.. think it's just super hard-I've mostly heard of finds happening when someone hunts those big bags str8 from mint (I've heard those bags are 'seeded' when 1sr released
Unfortunately, with shortage going on (*** Staff Edit: Please avoid political commentary ***) I'm not sure if those bags were released this year-should of been available last spring-? (I read story about a woman 'back East) who found 300!! In 1 hunt thru 2019 commutative quarter release.. I'm sure if u google 'woman finds 300 W mint mark quarters some info should come up that will let u know where she acquired the tools/bags to hunt in..
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14553 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a modern coin collector so I can't tell you much about the W Quarters , but if you want to search for 90% silver the whole month of December is the best time . A lot of people scrape up all kinds of change and cash them back in to their banks for Christmas spending cash . Yes I know about coin star and there's not much you can do about it except check those return trays .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MercsNWalkers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very area-dependent. The Mint previously disclosed "release cities", though they haven't done this for the past few quarters. They also said that quarters would start showing up in circulation about 4-6 weeks after the official release date, given the time needed to channel the quarters through the armored car carriers and banks.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...arter-dollar

However, getting those coveted uncirculated rolls seems much more nuanced than showing up at a release city 4-6 weeks after release date. Based on YouTube CRH videos, eBay scouting, Coin World reports, and the PCGS Bounty, W quarters show up right away, and sometimes even before the official release date. They also show up in other places. I live 250 miles from the closest release city, but a really nice batch of War in the Pacific quarters showed up in October, 2019, 4 months after release date. It was an amazing run, and I got a decent amount of shiny new W quarters out of that batch; banks had new rolls for around 6 weeks. Since then, smaller groups of River of No Return and Weir Farm quarters have surfaced, but nothing as epic as the WIP's. A lot also depends on the setup in your area. Some places utilize one armored car company (Loomis or Brinks or Garda), while bigger cities will have more than one. Based on my limited experience (and watching YouTube videos), each company seems to have different distribution schemes - people tend to have more luck with Loomis rolls, although other rolls have also been successful.

Location is thus key as well, I'd even say more important than timing. I've tried a few tricks, like looking at eBay listings to see where the new W quarters are coming from. Sometimes, a modest drive can pay off handsomely, as some places are indeed W cold zones.

Asking around can also be very helpful. Many bank tellers are super-friendly and will go out of their way to look for uncirculated rolls.

Circulated rolls also have W's, about 1-2 per $500 box in my area, though again, that will be largely area-dependent, as they are recycled from quarters that were previously circulating there. In my experience, bank wrapped circulated rolls still have better odds for W's compared to customer-wrapped rolls, as the latter have been sitting around in a jar since before W's came out or may be tailings from someone else's search.

Good luck in your quest! May you find those W's!

Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info and thanks—Mercs: funny but same thing about 2019 war in pacific quarters. I think it was about 8 months ago more of less teller gave me 6-7 new rolls of the quarters and did find my only W there. I was stoked plus I have a guy here who will buy rolls of my uncirculated quarter for $16-18 so made few bucks also. I dont live in a city so tough to find but will keep working. The people at my smaller bank alot friendlier and willing than my Wells Fargo bank.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GOing to be honest with you here, repetition, repetition, repetition.

I was getting a $500 box a week, sometimes 2 boxes if available, then I was stopping at banks to and from work or while I was out if I passed one and would get two rolls here, two rolls there, and make another box over the course of a week.

so 2-3 boxes a week for most of last year, end result was I think around 53 2019 examples, 50 of them were American memorial park, 3 were Lowell, never found anything else, but the great coin drought of 2020 seriously interrupted my ability to search.

I used to go to random banks and get $60 in change also, $30 = 25c, $15 = 10c, $10 = 5c, $5 = 1c, 17 stops like that left me just over a box of each denomination to look though, and not much fight from the banks in question, I would say "garage sale change or flea market change" or whatever and they fill a small change order like that a few rolls of each.

Anyways. you really just have to stay at it be consistent and always "fish around" if you have the ability to trying other banks near you, one might get from a different armored carrier. My bank for instance gets from 4 different carriers, whoever is cheapest at the moment I guess, it's sometimes loomis, sometimes string, sometimes brinks. sometimes glued box of no name rolls.

there is no set time, it's literally up to the armored carrier and how they inventory and distribute. if they don't FIFO and rotate, the new coin can be buried behind older coin for years before surfacing, Also I notice residential areas tend to take in more coin from customers than they give out to customers and seem to never order new coin deliveries, while commercial areas tend to need to order new coin frequently, so a business district bank is better than a residential district bank if you are hunting for hopefully new coin, while a residential district bank would be better for older coins to hunt.

anyways, it's really a numbers game, the more you look, the more chance you ahve to find, you can't find if you don't look.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05