Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Logistics To Starting Big Dollar Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 275Next Topic  
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  08:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BostonCornhusker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone,

I was hoping for a little direction, tips, and logistics surrounding large dollar hunting. When I started half-dollar hunting, you all gave me great direction and advice, so I thought I'd try large dollars, too.

1) Do I typically get them in rolls or loose from banks?
2) How available are they?
- Do I have to special order, or are they typically just sitting in drawers from drop-offs
3) What do I look for?
4) Am I able to return them at coin sorting machines, or should I return them to tellers? (I return my halves at a bank-owned sorter with no surcharge, but worry dollar coins won't be accepted or counted)

Any other information would be extremely helpful. I imagine I would likely only be getting large dollars piecemeal, and only when I pick up or drop off my halves, but I'm curious what methods, tips, and tricks every one else has.

Thanks everyone!
Edited by BostonCornhusker
11/25/2020 08:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
805 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add berto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most banks cannot, or will not, order large dollar coins, but you can check with your bank. If your bank cannot order them, then you must instead ask tellers for any they may have.

I look for AU/BU coins, and silver. I have most of an Ike Dansco filled as a result of searching large dollars.

I believe most coin counting machines will not count large dollars. I sell my rejects for $1.10-$1.25 each either locally or online in bulk quantities of at least 100 coins.

Good Luck
Pillar of the Community
United States
4105 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back ten, twelve years ago it was possible to order bags. The large influx of hunters made that option disappear.
I had no less than a half dozen contacts at a time so big dollars would pop up time to time in singles, $10 and $20 rolls. My banks would call me if any came in.
Big dollars generally don't circulate, they are dumped when folks find out old uncle Joe's old dollars aren't silver (Ike's).
Tellers in most cases will be confused and turn over small dollar coin. Carry an Ike, Morgan or Peace as an example.
When I was searching, I wasn't interested in errors, only that silver rim, so I'm no help there.
Do not dump large dollar coins in a counting machine, it may damage it and your bank won't be happy. Always ask first. Coinstar will eat it and keep it with no reimbursement.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
11/25/2020 10:36 am
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of returning your rejects to the bank, spend them and report your progress here...

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=247505
Pillar of the Community
United States
1260 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you are going to have a nightmare of a time doing large dollars. In general, they are obsolete for banks since SBAs and SACs. the Fed doesn't deal with them except to take them back anymore, neither do the armored carriers. Even the small dollars are a beast to get outside of like, post offices and commuter transportation mostly.... It used to be possible to get a bank to order direct from the Fed but not anymore.

Yeah, the federal reserve website says " Eisenhower dollars (deposit only*)" meaning, they don't distribute them, which leaves you pretty much trying to get what banks may be holding onto in their vaults, from customer turn ins.

No harm in asking anytime you go to your bank if they have any dollar coins, it's what I do. It's usually SBA or Sacs, but occasionally there's an IKE or two, haven't got lucky with silver besides in random half dollars though.

I know you can buy them in bulk from a coin dealer above face if they have them,but I am sure they have been searched and won't be harboring any silver if that's the goal.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05