Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 1 Cent, Specialty Variety? And Grade Please..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 276Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  7:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, someone brought this to me with the usual story again that "old" = "valuable".. I have never been into large cents so I haven't had an 1859 in my hand. I know the colouring is pretty harsh, I'm pretty sure it was cleaned in the past? But about the date - my Charlton is a 2013 Vol.1 for Numismatic Issues. In it, they mention a few different punch varieties, but mention there are many more. It isn't one of the exotic varieties in my mind, how about someone else's? And in a general sense, I don't see this as more than a VF-xx.. Thanks for the help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe your coin is Haxby # PC59-154 ( Obverse die 45a + Reverse die J3d )

It has some discoloration, but looks AU.

Can you post a close-up photo of reverse leaves 8 and 9. There may be a light die crack at leaf 8.

There are some Chinese counterfeits made from the 45a obverse die in about the same die state. If genuine, and I believe it probably is, it is a scarce die pair.

Maybe Dan in Crystal Lake if he sees this post could comment if he has seen any counterfeits like this one. Usually I don't think they have the J3d reverse.
Valued Member
Canada
181 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darcyrmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are the leaves, I caught the bottom of the date to make sure I have the correct ones
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1538 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking very good for Haxby # PC59-154
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking very good for Haxby # PC59-154

Yes, I agree Don. Nice looking coin darcyrmt.

Here is a photo of leaf 8-9 on a coin I have. Notice the slip above the mid-vein on leaf 9 and the faint die crack at leaf 8.

Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are not familiar with Dr. Haxby's 1859 catalog, here is a link to it.

https://www.vickycents.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05