Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Advice On A Double Die

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 692Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  10:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Want to get some thoughts on reverse of this coin with what I believe to be a mint error (Double Die). Thank you!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37,206 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Nice coin and nice photos. Give it a bit and members in the know will chime in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20,020 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Appears to be more of what is called Machine Doubling. Nothing really great nor expensive. Did you buy this coin?
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Carl, thanks for the info. It was given to me so I'm just trying to gather info on it. Should I get it graded and ready to sell? Thanks again!
Learn More...
United States
94,433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37,206 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be worth around $650 http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/price...icesgd.shtml
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the reverse is Machine Doubling...but zoom in with your scope on the date and try focus on the 8's...NGC variety plus shows a 1880/88...see if you can make out any remnants in the lower loops of the 8's for the signs of a repunched date?
https://www.NGCcoin.com/variety-plu...1908/820277/
You can click on the pic to zoom in to see what to look for.
If it's not there...still a nice coin!
And don't try and clean it PLEASE!
smat
Edited by smat45
12/01/2020 06:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Smat,thanks for the heads up on this and I'm zooming in but do not see anything on the 8's. I do see a little more Machine Doubling in a couple of places though. I'll post a couple of pics. Don't worry, I'm not going to clean any of these coins. Should I get this one graded? Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about this error? It's an 1881 that I have. Thank in advance!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37,206 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a die crack.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John for the info. I have this collection of coins that I do not know what to do with and I have to figure out if I should get the coins graded or not. Should I get all of the gold coins graded and start with that? Or, should I look for something special and get those graded? Also, understanding that this is a from a die crack, would that be valuable?

Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37,206 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In this case the die crack is not valuable. As to which ones to grade,I do not know. Gold is not my area. I am into errors and varieties,mainly Lincoln cents. As a general rule with those,it has to have at least a retail value of $150 slabbed to justify all costs involved in sending them in.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to send you an email...but it said you did not wish to receive emails. If you'd like...click on my name and send me an email...
This way we're not getting carried away on this thread.
smat
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John, thanks again for the info. In regards to Lincoln Pennies, I have about 100 roles dated all over the place so i'll need to get through these as well, at some point.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MMAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smat, because I'm a new member, I cannot send emails? I tried to send to you but a window popped up stating that I cannot.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 692Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05