Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian And New Zealand Coins, How Far Back Can We Go - First Edition

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 615 / Views: 9,808Next Topic
Page: of 41
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969 was a big year in Australia too. It was the year the 12 sided (Dodecagonal) 50 cent coin was released!

Here I show 2 near UNC examples (Probably AU)

These coins came about after the original 50 cents of 1966 was issued in silver and in 1967 the price of silver shot up making the issue of these coins uneconomic, so no 50 cent coins in 1967 or 1968. Reissuing the coin in Cupronickel was a problem as it would be similar in size to the 20c, so like in Britain with its new 50p, a polygonal coin was used. It worked but now with inflation, the 50 cent is an oversized pocket killer.

Most of the other 1969 dated coins are considered scarce, so happy to show you a 20c, 5c and 1c as well. The 2c is also scarce and I don't have it, I held back on the 10c which is common, but mine is very worn. After all we are now dealing with coins that have spent over a half century in circulation, imagine the stories they could tell.

The 20cent could remember the first time it came back as change for a purchase of a Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs album or a pair of flower patterned flares and how it got the dent in 1986 when a bogan called Gazza hit his 1971 Torana with it

All in all 1969 was a big year down under!

Triggersmob, we have not heard from you for a few days, is everything okay?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
01/22/2021 10:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I have been absent for last few days.
Not been feeling to well.

Nice coins that everyone's been posting.
Yes, I'm jealous.

I'll just poet this 50c from Aus.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh no, I hope you get well soon.

You could email me another wantlist if you like as I have some more stuff in, like I said duplicates of these dollars and some shiny late date halfcrowns and shillings.

Meanwhile I know you have some Australian goodies lined up for me. Have done a 2nd trade with Ralf and I think DG is ready for Round 2 as well.

Get better soon buddy, will admit going to be overdoing it next few days as the Decimal changeover is one of my favourite periods in both our countries coinage histories.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks PrinceTane.

Yes, we should try and get the second trade happening, but I haven't found an awful lot of coins for you yet.

I'll update my NZ coins soon and get a list to you.

Cheers mate.

View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8076 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  05:06 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1969 New Zealand dollar:

The case insert is actually dark blue but came out black in the photo, which I took under artificial light.
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Drats! I lost track the days and missed the chance to post my 1970 Cook 50 Cents.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post it now, I am sure we can look past it.

If it helps there is the NZ Cook 50 cents too and its "69"!

The more the merrier!
Learn More...
United States
95662 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the allowance!

I have had this for a while. I finally photographed it on its own, although I wish I could have captured its tone much better.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck, that is a sweet looking coin.
Glad you shared it.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do too, very clean and a nice corner tone coming in on the edges!

Whilst we remain fixated on James Cook, here is the NZ set of stamps issued in 1969 for his bicentennial!

The set of 4 stamps again uses the graphic art/Helvetica Bold lettering in vogue at the time. The 18c and 28c stamps are fairly scarce and the Minisheets (The first for us excusing the Health stamps) are also less common.

Shown are Cook, Joseph Banks the botanist and Daniel Solander, the Swedish scientist along with her Majesty.
Edited by Princetane
01/22/2021 10:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamps PrinceTane.
I don't have them in my collection, but I don't
really collect stamps anymore.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2820 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nothing today from NZ

From Aus, just a couple of coins.

One Cent

Five Cent.

OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loverley - 1968 is a less common year for both countries.

No coins were issued for circulation in New Zealand dated 1968, being just the 2nd year of decimal currency and the large numbers of 1967 coins still bedding in (Some 256 million coins for a population of 2.5 million people!).

However 75,000 sets of 1968 dated coins were issued for collectors, these included 35k of standard UNC sets and 40 k of the Polished grade.

Here is a polished grade set for you!

Again it is in another "optional" plush case

Close up of the "polishing" on the 20c and 50c coin.

The sets were sent out in the Blue cardboard wallets that originally accompanied the 1967 decimal sets. The Treasury were incredibly lazy and seemed to have piles of the left over folders, some people have told me that theirs were sent in the Purple Predecimal folders that accompanied 1965 sets! The vinyl wallets we all knew loved came out only in time for the 1969 issues, which were released late in that year.

inside the packet

Outside of the packets (Blue was decimal, purple were predecimal)

An original set in "Pliofilm" wrapping, this was rigid and better quality than pink (Standard Uncriculated) sets which had a floppier packaging and are often stained.

Bizarrely more polished coins were issued than uncirculated ones, neither are particularly scarce ($20 - $30 a set at most).

There were no dollar coins issued in 1968, the only year where a commemorative large dollar or $5 piece was not issued.
Edited by Princetane
01/23/2021 03:45 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2177 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 in Australia was a bit more abundant. Low numbers of 1c and 2c were issued, but relatively decent numbers of the 5c, 10c and 20c. No 50c were issued as they were transistioning from the silver to the cupronickel and most 50c were apparently scooped up by speculators at this stage.

Here I have shown a really worn 20c (All of my pre 1979 20c coins are worn), a really nice AU 5c and a decent 2c. I also have less salubruious copies of the 1c and 10c (Not shown).

Also this worn 5 cents that looks like it has part of the date worn off.

And this very bizarre token celebrating some Brutalist looking Australian building.

It is about 27mm in size and a slightly lighter metal than cupro nickel. Does anyone know about this?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8076 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  05:08 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No coins were issued for circulation in New Zealand dated 1968

In 1999 I went to NZ on holiday. A coin dealer I knew used to bag up current coins from various countries and sell them for about 50% of face value. Before my trip I asked him if he had any NZ coins, and he sold me a bag of change for about 4. Naturally I checked the coins before taking them to NZ and spending them, and I was delighted to find this!

I also have a 1968 polished set, bought from an English coin shop. It was in this vinyl wallet when I got it:

Edited by NumisRob
01/23/2021 05:10 am
Page: of 41 Previous TopicReplies: 615 / Views: 9,808Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05