Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Grade This 1953 5 Cent Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 644Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
228 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add don in nmkt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1116 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert on these, but looks like a near to me. I don't know if there is a middle of the road on this, but it looks close to a far.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8245 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64
SF Near

edit for typo
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
12/02/2020 8:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1024 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a near SF to me; I agree with with MS-64
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1108 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don in Market
I hope you are ok with me copying your images and re-posting them in original color.
this is not to hijack your post. it is to show and compare two identical coins with perhaps a slightly different grade... or maybe not.?
we shall let the experts dissect this one with the ifs and buts of why it is and or why it is not. should be interesting...
Also one question: would you recommend for either coin be certified, assuming the cost is under $10?
thanks everyone...

Edited by 47P7
12/03/2020 11:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think either of these coins would grade any higher then MS63.
Hard to see in these photos but somethings going on to the left of Canada and the date if rust is involved I have concerns with it even being straight graded.
Photo's showing this area would be helpful.
Neither coin should be graded similar coins can be bought for less then grading fees.

Cheers, Bill

Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks MS 62-64
Learn More...
Canada
9470 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
H - your coin on the bottom has the 'Trail Dies' phenomenon.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1108 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://goccf.com/t/384178&SearchTerms=trail
Yes, thanks, I am aware of it.
an curious what value this would represent, IF any?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8245 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing comparable for these two coins.
Looks to me like a planchet flaw on the reverse of the OP's MS coin.
Looks to me like there is wear on the second coin, the hair over the Queen's ear and the beaver's tail.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1108 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM
my coin came from a brand new unopened (until I opened it) original roll.
Received this and 25 other rolls with a collection. Opened it about a year ago. Gave some of them away as examples of guaranteed uncirculated coins. First considered having some graded. But then my economics mind kicked in and that thought vanished as they would have had to grade at minimum 65 to be ahead of the game.
so, If there is wear on it, maybe Santa had used it before.?
Miracles do happen, right?
actually , all I wanted to know (considering the trail dies) if it would be worth to have graded if grading would be under $10.
SPP was the only reader who correctly Id'd it.
so the question is not what grade is it, but is it worth grading under the now revealed secret. And, perhaps what would the value be?
BTW, I have seen 53's without the trails ICCS graded as 65's and 66 in worse shape than mine.
Edited by 47P7
12/05/2020 10:55 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3658 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry H but ICCS would not put " Trail Dies "
on a certificate . They don't grade errors or similar.
Maybe CCCS would ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8245 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a brand new unopened (until I opened it) original roll.

The mint did not issue coins in rolls in 1953.
Coins left the mint in bags.
Banks and other services rolled coins back then, there is absolutely no assurance that all coins in a roll from that era are MS, they can contain both mintstate and circulated coins.
The only way to be sure is to examine each and every individual coin.
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3658 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" The mint did not issue coins in rolls in 1953.
Coins left the mint in bags.
Banks and other services rolled coins back then, there is absolutely no assurance that all coins in a roll from that era are MS, they can contain both mintstate and circulated coins.
The only way to be sure is to examine each and every individual coin."

Absolutely concur , you can have ORIGINAL unopened Bank Rolls from the 1950s and 1960s , what's inside may surprise
the heck out of you! Recently bought 5 rolls of 1967 Fish Dimes ( Bank of Montreal VANCOUVER).
Cracked them all , 4 were straight 1967 , one was very mixed mostly earlier worn 800 fine ! Bonus.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1108 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you guys know, "young" coins are not within my interest.
all I know is that I received these as part of a collection I purchased and there were rolls, many of them.
just a little while ago I came across the trails.
Pacific, I am not sure if I will get it graded. maybe it is not worth the effort? even CCCS will take around $ 8-10.
I have other 53's from the same roll without trails.
so, whoever rolled these was probably not aware of it or did not care.
there were also vanilla high grade 67s dimes and quarters. some a sort of diving cougars and very interesting toned dimes. all were in High grade rolls.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05