Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade And Thoughts On 1807 Half Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 250Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
182 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi and appreciate your general opinion on grade and observations on this 1807 Half Cent. any thoughts on the value of this coin? I have become very interested in adding some colonials to my collection but a novice on grading them. thanks all

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53549 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say VG details (ED).
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ED means? Trying to learn how to identify cleaning in colonials. Thanks Coinfrog
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53549 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ED = Environmental Damage (the dark, scaly-looking areas on your coin).
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did the 1-over (part of 1-over-200) go? It seems to be completely missing from the reverse. So, I'm a bit skeptical that this coin is real and not a counterfeit.
If you look at PCGS Photograde, even a Half Cent graded G still has the 1-over-200 visible: https://www.PCGS.com/photograde#/Dr...fCent/Grades
Edited by NumisEd
12/01/2020 7:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53549 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible filled-die issue. This coin is certainly genuine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9121 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1807 C-1, I call it VG8 net G5 due to some light to moderate corrosion and pitting, with some dark staining on the obverse.
The reverse at the fraction bar area is environmental damage, a planchet flaw, or a die defect as Coinfrog suggested..

Wouldn't go more than $40-$50 on it if it looks better in hand, but the eye appeal isn't very good with this one.

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
12/01/2020 9:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9646 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF details (ED)
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Possible filled-die issue. This coin is certainly genuine.

Thanks, I learned something this week
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 250Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05