Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identifying A George III Shilling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 179Next Topic  
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nedl15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all, I recently acquired this George III shilling, and was running some tests on it to determine whether it is genuine or not. It does not seem to be magnetic, as is to be expected, it's (mean't to be) 92% silver. However when I weighed it, it came up far lower than it should have (mean't to be 6.6g, came up as 3.3g). I was wondering if anyone here could give an opinion as to whether they think it's genuine or not, I'm fairly new to coin collecting, so I'm not really confident with this as of now, so all opinions will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7909 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and

I suspect that you actually have a 1787 sixpence rather than a shilling. The weight is about right for a sixpence. The sixpence should be 21mm in diameter and the shilling 25mm.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It looks genuine enough. Shame about the hole though, that wipes out any value it otherwise would have had as a collector's coin.
Re. the weight: are you sure it's not a sixpence? They look the same but (roughly, from memory) the diameter of the shilling would be around 25mm while the sixpence is 20mm.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
531 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Snap! Rob.
You beat me to it by a matter of seconds. ;-)
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nedl15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone! Just checked, has the right measurements to be sixpence, I'll go and do some more research on it now!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 179Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05