Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Canadian Large Cent I.d. Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 318Next Topic  

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone .
First post .
Have been following for a couple years now, answered many questions doing general searches but sure could use an assist on this one .
I have a varied collection but working on the 1859`s lately .Familiar with Haxby website but certainly no expert .Also apologize in advance for poor pics but not equipped for much beyond what I sent here .
If someone could help identify this reverse am sure could match the obverse myself using the Haxby site . If more pics needed can send but as mentioned not able to zoom out in order to get whole coin in one pic.
No die cracks ,bought as a PC59-5 but sure not correct after several hours of staring /digging ,vine loop #7 not correct looks like plus a few other tells .
Thank you in advance .
Al from B.C. Canada

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a harsh post-mint damage to the 9, starting above the 9 and coming down through it. Is there a D/c at leaf 9 to the denticle? You have a very slight 5/5. By the width of the vine break at 7 and the lack of the vine break at 2, it (the die) was struck about 3/4 of the way through the mint cycle. Is the E in ONE slightly repunch top right?
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope doing this right .
No die cracks ,either side .
The E in one has no repunch I can see
Hopefully pics show okay.
Sure appreciate this info

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry ,wrong pics came through ,will try again.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more try on leaf # 9 and E in one
Thanks for the patience

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I asked about the D/C at 9 because the damage on the 9 had a possibility to be a 9 similar to a DP#1, but they all have the D/C at 9. Your new pic shows that there is no R/P'd E ... the 1st photos looked like there was. I don't use Haxby, but you can start by looking at the reverses with that 5.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent several hours reviewing the Haxby site ,more than once went through entire list and can not find .I thought maybe a PC59-179 but not even close on the 9 . Any chance the 9 took such a beating it flattened out a bunch ?
Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the photos you have posted, I would guess it may be Haxby reverse J9. The stem to leaf 9 and the re-punching on the 5 are the markers that make me think so.

With no die cracks, it would have be an early state of J9 and the obverse should be an early state of Haxby obverse 50.

I agree with okiecoiner that the apparent re-punching on the 9 is probably damage to the coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3324 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why isn't the J9 in the "ID my coin" coin Reverses for 5/5? The vine at 2 on the OP coin doesn't look like J9, but the 5/5 sure does. Bigal12: FYI Phil is the guru for the Haxby site. You can take his opinions to the bank. I'm just a variety collector, not a die tracker. To me, yours is a vanilla coin, but don't take it hard. That coin may actually be scarce, but I'm into varieties only.
Edited by okiecoiner
12/01/2020 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why isn't the J9 in the "ID my coin" coin Reverses for 5/5?

Thanks for pointing that out Bill. I think it will be good to add that to the re-punched 5 page in the catalog.

Bigal12, It looks like you were thinking 50+J9 also which is PC59-179.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was ,slight differences however ,still learning how much wear can change appearances . Not to mention one day looked close ,the next not ,gotta love old age and poor eyesight.
Thanks guys ,much appreciated .
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bigal12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here`s some pics of the 5 if interested
Thanks again.

Learn More...
United States
94566 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05