Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mercury Dimes - What Distinguishes A VF35 From An XF40?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can you guess which is which? Both are PCGS graded. Sure, on the 1919D the greysheet difference is only $5, but on a 1921 it's $75 and on a 1921-D it's $100.

Does anyone know specifically what can distinguish a VF35 from an XF40? I've heard they can be more generous with key dates sometimes.

My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1767 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both look VF-35 to me, but I can see the 21 making XF-40. The 21 has maintained more of the original details on the reverse , but surfaces done look as clean, with a few larger scratches and rim hits. The 19 has taken on more wear, but surfaces are cleaner.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8095 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 21 has more details. The Fasces on the the reverse has more detail and the upper hair of Liberty has slightly more, and as Ty said the 21 has much better surfaces.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9661 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty much the same for other coins grading Mercury dimes involves not only the technical side, judging the amount of wear to the surface. Also considered is overall eye appeal of the coin, does it project a pleasing appearance or a dull "worn out" look.

here is photograde for the two grades side by side which makes it easier to see the differences. the differences are the sharper lines of the hair where it meets the face. Rims are flatter and more worn than that of a 40. about 1/2 detail in the wing remains and the coin can have some luster remaining. on the reverse the leaves are going to be much sharper and defined and diagonal bands should show separation from the faces. the overall look is much sharper, not as dull and more defined devices. there are other markers but these are the key differences

your 21 looks like it falls in the VF35 slot and the 19D right around VF25

Pillar of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 21 was in fact graded XF40, the 19D as VF35!

@GC - Ty actually thought the 19D had better surfaces, which I agree. I see what looks like a hole even (large ding) on the fasces axe blade. I agree with you that the details at the very top of Liberty's hairline show better detail in the 21 than the 19D. I'm just not seeing it in the fasces though.

I see a stronger obv strike on the 21, in the IGWT motto, but strike shouldn't impact grade on circulated coins.

While it's hard to tell from the photos, I think the 21 may have more residual luster (if any) than the 19D.

@panzaldi - I look at PCGS's Photograde all the time, but so often I find their own grading can be inconsistent with this. For instance, the XF40 photos are often more consistent with an XF45 slab. In the hair line along Liberty's face, an XF40 should really show a separation, like it does in the Photograde example, but in the 21, the curl due right of her cheekbone is mostly merged with her face.

I think the toning pattern has something to do with the 21 just showing the details better.

What do you think my 21D would grade out at? I picked this up raw several years ago (and it remains un-certified).

My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Edited by one_fine_dime
12/02/2020 1:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9661 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
one_fine_dime - I dont use photograde exclusively for grading however it does help newbies put a coin in the right area such as F, VF XF etc... your question was how to tell the difference between 35 and 40. the easiest way to explain that is to use a standard grading system such as photograde.

the 21D obverse looks closer to VF35 and the reverse XF40. a nice example of a key coin
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05