Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Want To Explain This 90% 1965 Kennedy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 399Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
111 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  02:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tolch123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I calibrated my Sigma, and it should be spot on (tested with Morgan as shown). It weighs 11.48g and looks fully AG on the obverse, reverse and edge. This is the reason I tested it initially. I know I've heard the mythical rumors of a 1965, and I figured I'd post it to have someone shoot me down with a logical explanation!

Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the plastic is too thick? I'm not too sure, but the bar is outside of the brackets, did you check the 40% mode too? If so what did that show?
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37260 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  04:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is one of those snap tight holders that open real easy. Retest with coin out of holder.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Retest with coin out of holder. Does that Sigma metal verifier give an actual weight in grams?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53774 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, remove and weigh on a proper gram scale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
920 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Compare the color of your coin's edge with other 40% and 90% silver examples. Which does it match better? The 40% and 90% coins look different enough that it's easy to pick each out of a mixed roll just by looking at their edges.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tolch123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tests the exact same out of the holder.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53774 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a gram scale?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1006 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it test any different if you use the small wand attachment?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if its' out of the brackets, I'd say it's not legit and probably plated.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47916 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is it call 'AG'? AG (Almost a Good) in coin grading is a very low grade coin. Just 'Fair,' is below that.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/03/2020 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1808 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tests the exact same out of the holder.

May we see a new picture of it on the metal verifier. Sounds kind of funny to say that as it's not a scale
Pillar of the Community
United States
2121 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is it call 'AG'?

AG=Silver
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05