Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 P Quarter All Cracked Up

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 346Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is something that for probably no intrinsic reason has peeked my interest.

I know it's not possible but it almost seems like the die cracks are all the way through this coin.

How can I die have been this cracked up and not fallen apart?

As you can see here though, the details on the coin do not seem to be worn out or anything which is what is confusing to me.

If This were caused by a worn-out die wouldn't the lettering be rounded a bunch and whatnot?

Please anyone feel free to enlighten me on the situation with this coin. I love to learn
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53674 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Peaked" my interest - please be more specific about what you see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4386 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frog, it's actually "piqued"

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think My2cent is talking about the multiple die cracks on the quarter.

I've seen other coins with many more and more severe cracks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4599 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please anyone feel free to enlighten me on the situation with this coin

You already pointed out the cracks. Not sure what what other "enlightenment" you might want?
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I asked if there was anything else about it. For example southsav letting me know that it can actually get worse before they fix it. I personally have never seen one even this bad so I can only imagine. Also was curious how the details of the coin are still normal not warn down.
Edited by My2cent
12/03/2020 10:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know the actual quality control procedures for the Mint but suspect regular inspections occur of the minting hardware and the product being produced.

I would imagine the Mint would use the die until it was no longer servicable. Eventually the small cracks will get larger and develop into die breaks which can be awesome to find.

I've seen coins where the cracks and breaks are in the field and devices. As to why the die has not fallen apart with your coin, who knows. Probably because the cracks are not severe enough to develop into a break.

Try Googling 'Coin Die Crack' and 'Coin Die Break'. You should get alot of results to help you understand these events.

Good luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice Spike Head. Check here to see if it's listed.
http://cuds-on-coins.com/washington...s-1932-1999/
Pillar of the Community
United States
911 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lots of die cracks on that one, cool, worth saving IMO

some might say this has "peaked their interest in the printing of good double die planchettes"

Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah check cudsoncoins to see if it is listed, if not, then you can submit a few high quality photos, and they'll add it in your name!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked online at that sight you suggested but couldn't find it listed. It's almost a couple of them combined. But what does that mean? Is there a registry or something? Is it worth anything?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry, when I said 'google' I meant to get a more thorough explanation of die crack and die break.

I don't think there's a registry. Cracks and most breaks are quite common. IMO no extra value. As previously stated, nice keeper for your personal collection.

Use the contact ability on Cud's to email them and send your photos to.
Edited by southsav
12/07/2020 3:52 pm
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2020  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help. I didn't figure it was worth anything but it is a nice addition to my collection.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 346Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05