Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P Dime Struck Through Something With Doubling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 198Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not saying that it is a DD because I don't know. The fact is I don't know why this coin looks like this and that's what I am trying to figure out.

As you can see from the first picture the texture is streaked and that's uniform over the entire obverse and reverse starting in the center like a starburst.

Because of what ever caused that starburst effect caused the doubling I see. Note the extra flames on the torch. And all the letters are interesting.

Can anyone please explain to me what is the cause of these interesting details and what I would label I as?
Also is it worth keeping?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4,385 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an effect of Die Deterioration. The repeated striking of coins causes the metal on the die to fatigue. The lines on your coin are a reflection of the die's aging surfaces. This is usually most apparent on nickels due to the hardness of the metal, but will present on any coin. the doubling is also a phenomenon of the deterioration. Die Deterioration Doubling will always spread radially away from the center of the coin.

This is a nice example of Die Deterioration, but is unfortunately not worth more than face value.
Edited by Adam_E
12/04/2020 4:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the sake of knowledge can you please explain to me how that can possibly be if the letters are so crisp still and also the way the die comes down on the plan s*** like a hammer and straight back up wouldn't it cause some kind of different look on the lettering?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
4,385 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, a die has incuse devices, so the field of the die is the part that's doing the most striking work. The devices do eventually get affected(most notably they will widen and shallow out, and will also cause Die Deterioration Doubling), but the field will be the first part to show signs of an aging die, and will almost always be the only part to show distinct flow lines unless the die is extremely worn
Edited by Adam_E
12/04/2020 5:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so it must have been extremely worn because it is on all details of the coin but why are the details so sharp then?I don't mean to ask so many questions I'm just trying to learn. I hope I'm not bothering you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 198Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05