Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Hope I Am Not Coming Off Wrong.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 679Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I actually came across your site through "trying" to research information about coins, values, and "how to" on selling. I understand there is no soliciting members here and I respect that, but I was hoping to ask questions about how to go about selling (elsewhere). Questions like " What sort of percentage from "true value" do I need to compensate for either "leaving something on the bone" or making a collector happy. I really appreciate you even reading this and look forward to learning all about coins.
Edited by Adam88
12/04/2020 11:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
true value = what someone would pay for it,, Tons of research not to undercut and provide what your offering. Best thing I can say is sell it the way you would want to buy it?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all thank you so much for even talking to me! I on the other hand do not know what I would pay for anything. It is more of an inheritance thing. I was here asking because I figured people here cared and were more about the passion.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your welcome adam88 and welcome to the forums and people do care of the passion hence we are here ^^ and I told you the truth lots of research goes into it so post some pics in proper fields (sub forum) ebay sold items to see what sold for and just tons out there to help us help you or yourself, I mean a passion dont have to have a value its what you make it. Passion revolves a large base of theory that I couldnt tell you what you wanted to hear or vice versa. However alot of good people here to help with a direction to go to or more and welcome to the forum adam88.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the honesty. You people are why I am here. Thank You Very Much!
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The worst part is is I feel like a villain asking or picking brains here. I would hate for any of you all to feel used.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to figure out coin jargon and " rules or guides". Her father has been collecting for 70 years and was serious about it. I kinda think he might haunt me if I do not at least educate myself and have a gist of what the heck is happening. Again, I really appreciate you.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
then dont pick ask trueful questions to your knowledge maybe little research so you dont get messed up by a hustler if you sell, Knowledge can only be learned if you tie the knot on the hook to cast out to catch the fish.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5363 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest your first responsibility is to accurately identify and grade each coin. Presumably a 70-year collection is extensive so that might be a massive job, but it's necessary.
You can then check sale results for similar coins on eBay or auction websites like Heritage. This basic research will give you a real-world sense of what the collection is worth.

I'd like to see some highlights from this collection. Are you able to post any pictures?
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all thank you Eyez and Jaobler for the help. Like I said he was a true collector. I have thousands of coins and a lot of paper money from before the confederacy and tons of country's. He had a pretty detailed spreadsheet of values from about 3-4 years ago, so I feel like I have a rough baseline I just need to know how to go about pricing it without being a butt or a chump.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if a coin was "appraised"(we paid 120 an hour for him for tax reasons or something) at $5164, which I truly understand is close to insurance value, what would you all feel comfortable paying for it and leave feeling satisfied/happy about it?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really want happy collectors. My mom passed away 10 years ago and she was huge into art. All forms, mixed media, painting, clay... you get the picture. It fell upon me to handle her stuff. Now granted I did it multiple garage sale style, it helped my heart to know the person getting whatever it was would love it/use it/appreciate it. I know this sounds like boo-hoo but it really helped me heal. Also not feel so darn guilty about not keeping everything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's hard to really answer that for a coin if we dont know what it is, some of us would be happy to pay that entire price because they collect that particular type of coin and desire it, others would have absolutely no interest in it at any price.

For me, when I purchase coins that I dont really have a big interest in holding onto, and the coin is graded by a TPG, I would take the wholesale price of a coin, and subtract about 20-25%. This way I can almost always at least breakeven after shipping fees, ebay fees, etc. on a raw coin I would make a general conservative estimate on the grade, and cut the wholesale price by 30% or more, depending on the coin, because there's more risk involved.

I myself and I'm sure others are curious as to what consists of the collection, like jaobler said can you take some photos of what might be "highlight" pieces? If there's absolutely no indication of what might be a highlight piece maybe start with the oldest coins, gold coins, or extremely well preserved coins.

Also I'm not sure this needs to be said but absolutely DO NOT attempt to clean anything, so many inherited collections get wiped out by uninformed people who decide to clean the collection.

If you have truly desirable coins, and you want to get rid of them, your route to get you the most money them for not a whole lot of effort would be to put them on ebay with high quality pictures. Depending on the coin you may want to get it graded because it wont fetch top dollar due to the aforementioned risk.
Edited by Adam_E
12/05/2020 02:38 am
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You really are the best. Thats what I was poking around for. Thank you
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 679Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05