Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Please Give Me Some Info On This Aus 20 Cent Piece

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 493Next Topic  

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hbcx1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this 1971 piece. Does anyone know what the indents on it could have come from? could it have been from when it was made or ?
Valued Member
Australia
321 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse pic would be helpfull.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hbcx1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hbcx1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the pics, I'm struggling with the 300kb upload things.

its just a standard 20 cent piece with the platapus
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37206 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. It is some sort of PMD. What was used to make the damage,could be anything.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17892 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spring loaded click punch indents.

Click punches are used in sheet metal working to accurately locate the start of a hole to be drilled.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hbcx1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is the conclusion defiantly the spring punch or ?
I'm confused
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add petef7365 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be PMD. All holes are the same size...

It looks like moon craters.
Valued Member
Australia
489 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@petef7365

It wasn't caused during minting. Unless you speak to the person who made the marks, you will probably never know for certain what caused it. I cannot see such marks adding historical value to the coin so in effect, it is a damaged coin worth no more than face value being 20c.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
924 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i wonder that people are doing on these coins, testing out on cheap metal? so that they dont ruin actual sheet metal?
Valued Member
Australia
489 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

i wonder that people are doing on these coins, testing out on cheap metal? so that they dont ruin actual sheet metal?

Nah. Just overly active people. Once had a young guy in the workshop at work who just couldn't keep still. If there was a drill handy while sitting at the work bench he'd drill holes in the bench just to be doing something. I can just imagine him using a spring punch on a coin because there was a punch and coin handy. He ended up joining the Navy which was the best thing for his excess energy.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17892 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2020  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Punch marking was the way that the ancients tested their gold and silver coins. Chinese chop marks on silver dollar sized coins are a more modern example.

Just deliberate post mint damage in this case.
Valued Member
Australia
165 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chm8Tin2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
interesting fine....hbcx1 ...

so with my little crator ... it looks like I'm with you ?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
165 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chm8Tin2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks ... mr t ...
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05