Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ike Alert - Started An Ike Album Today.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 2,063Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  3:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm in the process of cutting up some mint sets to fill holes in albums, so I decided to start an Ike album. Just wish it was this easy to fill the holes in my Mercury album!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4124 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the members here will be overjoyed that you have seen the light!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One of the members here will be overjoyed that you have seen the light!

I wonder who that might be? (Wink, wink)
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hold-on, I'll give him a call.
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the delay.

Excellent start!

Always good to see another Ike set being created! Always.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4821 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice start. I'm looking for a new adventure. Maybe an Ike album is in my future? Though I've been leaning towards a Franklin half Album. I don't know. Lol. I need someone to tell me what to do.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm looking for a new adventure. Maybe an Ike album is in my future?
Yes. Yes. YES!

Quote:
Though I've been leaning towards a Franklin half Album.
That was the album I completed after the Ike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4821 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Jbuck... I know very little about Ikes. I know they're about 38mm and 20? grams. And they were only put out for a relatively short time.

What can I expect when putting a set together? Do you have any advice for someone starting with nothing? For the Eisenhower's do you prefer Dansco or Whitman albums? Are there any keys that I need to be conscious of? Thanks in advance. Sorry for peppering you with so many questions.
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer Dansco, but the Whitman shown here is quite nice.

There are 32 coins in the core set, 34 if you separate 1972 into the three varieties. I will focus on the 32 coin series.

I have two sets of Ikes, one in a Dansco album and the other in PCGS slabs.

The Dansco is lower grade. Only a few business strikes came from mint sets, the rest were from circulation. It was started in 1984 when I got the Dansco album, although a handful of Ikes were previously in a generic folder. It was completed in 1993. I would be shocked if it cost me more than $150 to complete (I did not keep good records back then). When I started, the two 1973-S 40% silver issues (uncirculated and proof) were the keys and they were quite pricey (could have been close to $200 for the pair), but that peak is long, long gone.

The PCGS Ikes are of course better grade. Only two business strikes are MS64, everything else is MS65 and up. All proofs are PR69DCAM. I started in fall 2016 and finished in January 2020. If I told you how much I had in it you would be scared away, but many of them would have been a lot cheaper if they were purchased raw. For the record, if I were to rank them from highest price to lowest, those two 1973-S 40% silver issues would be #7 and #10 (of 32). I went way overboard on the top three because I really, really liked them.

With all that being said, a Dansco or Whitman album filled with raw Ikes should be quite affordable. I am contemplating a third set built with raw purchases for a CAPS album. We will see.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4821 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your insight Jbuck. Guess I have a decision to make.

Whatever that decision is all I can say is that I'm excited to start something new.
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whatever that decision is all I can say is that I'm excited to start something new.
Truth!

For the record, the Franklin half is still a good choice.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Whatever that decision is all I can say is that I'm excited to start something new

Look at the trouble I caused!
Learn More...
United States
99390 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You say trouble, I say inspiration

Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completed my Ike Dansco earlier this year. I still think it is a rather...unattractive coin (sorry jbuck), but at least it is a set you can actually complete without that one crazy rare key date that costs an arm and a leg. Don't forget the commemorative to put at the end if you have an empty slot.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, I've handed over Susan B Anthony's and Sacagawea's to pay for items at the local markets and it seems the cashier isn't too excited. However, when I hand over an Ike, the response is always OMG or huh followed by is that really a dollar? They marvel at the size and weight and show it to the owner. Often times they ask if I have any more. That should tell the story of how cool of a coin the Ike is.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 2,063Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05