Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

John Shaw Iron Monger

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 637Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2020  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for any information regarding John Shaw who was an iron monger in upper town Quebec. He is credited as engraver of the 1837 sou, as well as the 1852 sou, even though Charlton states that the engraver of the 1852 is unknown.
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He worked at the Soho mint but not even they recognize him as their engraver on their website
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silver Nickel for your response. I had perused the Soho website myself a while ago, lots of great information, but none about John Shaw. Could you please direct me to where you found this information regarding him being an engraver there?
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I meant that he is not recognize as one of their engravers. If you really want to find out some information about maybe email soho mint about this or ask RBC who purchased the Quebec bank. John Shaw engraved these coins for the Quebec bank so they might know.
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I know it has been awhile but I was looking at some tokens and saw what seems to be called a john Shaw token. It is is very likely made by the same John Shaw since he lived in Quebec and both tokens were made at relatively the same year. 1837

John Shaw seemed to be the owner of a hardware company.
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Silver Nickel, yes it is a token he had made for his business. There were some people at the time of its release that told the public not to accept them, because if his business went under, they would be left with useless tokens, as they could only be used at his store.
The 1837 sou is credited to him as well, but it's unclear to me if he had them produced for himself or if he is just credited for the design or engraving.

Congratulations on reaching 50 posts! It's taking me way longer to reach then I thought it would!
Valued Member
Canada
89 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I'm already at 50? Well, that was fast
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 637Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05