Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Silver Set Presentation Materials

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 216Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  3:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keikat02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I hope this is not a stupid question. However, with all the concern for silver coin storage to prevent them from developing spotting, storage materials safe to use, moisture prevention, and climate control, I presume the silver coin sets' enclosed paper description, plastic materials, and storage boxes, used by the U.S. Mints for presentation, are safe for the silver coins to remain in storage. Correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18141 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2021  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct.
The quality and appropriateness of presentation and packaging materials used for proof sets is not usually the problem. Hard sealed set cases have to broken if you wish to do something with the individual coins.

There are quite a few articles on Google that explain the formation of spotting on silver bullion coins.
There are also quite a few articles to be found on how to remove them. Consider carefully before any of these removal procedures are adopted. I have never tried any of them - I don't collect proof bullion coins.

As far as protection of silver (in particular, proof), bullion coins is concerned, I believe the best way to preserve and protect them is to
enclose them in individual snap lock clear acrylic plastic capsules of appropriate size.
That way, it is still possible to handle the individual coins without gloves or further protection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, some of the spotting found on proof silver forms long after the product left the Mint. Research has revealed that one of the reasons for such spotting is an outcome of the annealing process, and Mints are well aware of this.
Perth Mint has taken some further experimental action in this regard, by striking proof coins in a laboratory clean air environment to reduce surface contamination problems, and has made adjustments to the annealing process, and further cleaning of the blanks after annealing.
All of this may well come with extra sale cost of their products.
Edited by sel_69l
01/02/2021 8:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2021  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For several years the materials used in the packaging has improved dramatically. The only problem I see left unresolved is the two piece hard cases (plastic) which are not air tight. This is common for the capsules as well. I have used a thin coat of clear silicone on mine and so far they have not toned.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 216Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05