Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated Uncut Sheet Of Obsolete Currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is another cool piece I picked up a few months ago for you to enjoy. Its one of my favorites pieces because its not something you will find.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat but I have to ask if it is authentic?

I know very little about currency but thought that when it is printed on only one side it is most likely a reproduction.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Petespockets55 I would say its an authentic 1840s Bank of the Valley in Virginia Winchester sheet these particular bills are not printed on the back.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Neat but I have to ask if it is authentic?

As @1993Z mentioned, this issue is one-sided, so that won't help you identify fake notes.

To quote myself from an old post:
"For these and other obsolete notes, you have contemporary counterfeits, spurious notes, altered notes, and reproductions. The first three are old (fake) notes, and reproductions are modern. Contemporary counterfeits are attempts to make fake copies from the time the actual note was in circulation. Spurious notes are fake notes that did not attempt to copy a real note (a totally made up image with the name of a real bank). Altered notes are...altered...usually a legit note from a bankrupt bank that is changed to look like it came from a valid bank. The North even issued fake confederate currency to destabilize the market. All of these old fakes are actually collectible to a certain degree if you can correctly identify them for what they are. Oh, there are also remainders (unsigned and unissued notes) that were subsequently forged with signatures."

So the only thing I might worry about with this uncut remainder sheet is a modern counterfeit (as opposed to a known reproduction). If there were a lot of them, it would be added to the online lists of fake notes within a period of time. The image appears through from the reverse, so it looks to be the thin rice paper that was used on many of these notes. Bottom line, it is printed on paper, so there is always a chance to be fooled, but nothing sticks out as wrong with this note/sheet.

You can look at Heritage Auctions for many other examples of this sheet and compare:
https://currency.ha.com/itm/obsolet...bnail-071515
Valued Member
United States
481 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love uncut sheets! I see no red flags on the one posted. The majority of obsolete notes are uniface, so that's not an indicator of a fake.

Nearly all uncut sheets are remainder notes -- unissued leftovers after a bank failure. Over the decades, dealers discovered it was more profitable to cut up these sheets and sell notes individually. Consequently, full sheets have gotten much harder to find. Some are quite scarce now, though the singles are common.
Edited by GregAlex
01/22/2021 3:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2878 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being from Virginia and my mother lives in Winchester. I love them
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 360Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05