Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very Strange Squarish Silver Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 658Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  10:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Im still trying out these things, and I dont understand much on how to quickly upload.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That Coin Dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post pics of both sides and crop them as well
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you! A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification. I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11520 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  02:40 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

More and closer pics may help.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
38825 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Front & back pics please out of the holder as well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn. Enjoy.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  3:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, thanks guys, I was trying to crop both the front and back sides, all the while trying to simply transfer the photos directly from the phone to the website. Again, I am totally not used to doing this. Most of my coins I have fully and completely described, but of course, there are those what-is-its I occasionally find. I did try using the tutorial on how to post, but still very much a beginner on posting pics. I did try to post the other side, but did not know what went wrong. Ill play with it more a little later.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'm a try this photo thing again...

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops, I meant to get the other side of this "coin?"

Ok, lets try this...
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, that should do it for identification purposes, so I know it is silver, it could have been cut/reduced in size? I also know it is quite old, and one side (one side in particular looks to have a bird design - I see a head and a beak and possibly two wings). I have no idea where it is from or how old it is approximately, this is where you folks come in...
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3461 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it's probably from medieval Germany. I'll defer to the people who actually know stuff about it, though.

EDIT: judging by the "other side" photo, I suspect it was made like that; compare this coin on Numista.
It's also almost certainly pre-1600 and thus belongs in the Ancient & Medieval subforum (hopefully the thread would be moved there for better visibility).
Edited by january1may
01/11/2021 7:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did have a feeling it was pre-1600s, and I am fairly familiar with Numista. Yes, I agree that it probably needs to move to the medieval subforum.
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to some ideas above, I now think this is a silver pfennig interegnum from the 1200s-1300s time zone.
Learn More...
United States
19129 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it probably needs to move to the medieval subforum.

Next time pls just click on the link to alert us and we can get it done. Thx.

Certainly looks like a medieval Austrian Pfennig to me. If you remove from the 2x2 and post better pics, I might be able to get an attribution for you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol spence, when I posted this I didn't know that, and when I originally posted it, it could have been 1700s, 1400s, 800s time period . Now when I post here, I do take the coin out of the 2x2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5746 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05