Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1859 Canadian Cent. Possible Brass? Pics Incl.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 581Next Topic  

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  10:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone ive got a 1859 coinn here that ive taken some pics off. very different look from the 1901 version I have here.
The 1859 I have weighs at 3.8? I'm guessing due to loss of metal, however does it look any different from any other copper version to your professionals?

Please see attached pics

Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
another pic to show thickness on the 1901.

Learn More...
United States
96035 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3412 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An 1859 should weigh 4.54 g and they were 1/3 thinner than all cents from 1876 and later. It should have a diameter of 2.54 centimeters. When they made them, 100 would weigh exactly 1 pound and 12 strung together was a foot. Your coin does not look like an inch in diameter. The 1901 & '59 should be the same diameter and yours doesn't look like it. Brass or bronze, the dia was 2.54 cm and your weight is way off. Your coin has been in contact with a cleaning agent that has turned it yellowish. If you think it's brass, you will need an XRF, but I wouldn't spend much money to check it .... too many red flags.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, what are your thoughts as to what could have caused the reduction in weight? Also what gives with the thickness? It doesn't appear top have lost any detailing to make me believe it's been ground down over .5g.

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3412 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1858 & '59 large cents were 1/3 thinner then the British half-pennies that they were intended to be compared to. They were the same diameter as the half-pennies, so they were struck on the same mint presses in London, but made of 95/4/1 bronze rather than the pure copper of the half-pennies. When Canadian cents were next struck, in 1876, the Canadian cents were exactly the same dimensions as the half-penny, again struck in London or Heaton. As far as the weight, I'd say that it's your scale that's wrong.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its a digital scale so it zeros everytime I turn it on. So we all agree this isn't a brass one? lol. We can all wish. I will eventually get it tested so I know for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
649 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2021  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed same thing on 1 of my 59s same diameter but thinner planchet , for sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3412 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2021  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it is a forgone conclusion that EVERY 1858 and 1859 large cent was 1/3 thinner than those which came later, from 1876 on. The 58/59's weighed 4.54 g, while the 1876-1920 large cents weighed 5.67. Since they were ALL the same diameter, the weight is due to the early LC's being significantly thinner.
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tskinny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. Any idea what's the deal with the punch in the center? Was it a method of cleaning or perhaps a method of trade?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3412 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that someone just punched it with a hammer and any kind of punch/bit. It could even be a BB or pellet gun. Your guess; you can see it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1175 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have doubts, take it to a Jeweller and have it XRF'd.
then you know for sure...
then search on the forum for the metal components and hope it has enough of whatever metal to qualify for Brass. or post the results here.
then you would have a coin worth a few K.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05