Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Advice On Handling A Sick Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 160Next Topic  
Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Catholic Tokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings from Chile,

I've got a French souvenir medal (Monnaie de Paris, 2003, 34mm, Cu-Al-Ni alloy) that was stored for years by the previous owner on a cheap plastic box and synthetic cloth. It presents now, in addition to an overall heterogeneous tarnish of its original gold tone, six points of a green substance, that I assume could be caused by the components of the plastic box.

From what I understand, I should stop corrosion of the coin. How should I proceed so I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply.
Edited by Catholic Tokens
01/13/2021 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it could be polyvinyl chloride (PVC) damage. A bath in pure acetone (not nail polish remover) should get rid of surface contaminants, but if the surface metal of the medal has been etched, I'm afraid there will be nothing you can do. Fortunately, it is not a high value medal - they were available in many different designs at the major tourist spots in Paris.

If you search on "acetone" here on CCF, you will be able to read good discussions on the proper techniques for using acetone. Good luck!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum. You've come to a phenomenal place to share and learn.

Someone who knows more than me will be along soon. The only thing I can think of is a good acetone soak.

Commems types faster.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
01/13/2021 12:30 pm
Chile
4 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Catholic Tokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Commems and Chafemasterj for your quick responses and kind help. I will find out more about acetone usage in this valuable forum, as suggested.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 160Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05