Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This Defect Called? How Does It Influence Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  07:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm reposting some coins here in an attempt to draw attention to a specific issue, namely, a sort of smearing of the beads around the rim of some coins. Please look at 12 o'clock on the 1912 reverse; 12 o'clock on the 1858 obverse; and 6 o'clock on the 1858 reverse. Specific questions:

- how does this happen?
- why did it happen on both sides of the 10c but only one side of the 20c?
- does this effect grade (if so, how) or only eye appeal?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3307 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something in the ejector mechanism maybe?
Learn More...
Canada
9458 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collar clashes as well...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Misaligned die would be my guess. Depending on the severity of the tilt and the pressure set for the strike, it could distort both sides when the hammer comes down.
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Bond632 - though I note that the 20 cent only has this problem on one side.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17889 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. One Dollar gold coins are notorious for indistinct beading inside the rim.
It is just a normal part of the coin's character, but it doesn't seem to affect their grading.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver101,
Here's a thread I started on the same or very similar subject as it pertains to 1888 large cents.
Not sure if it helps as it was more of an observation then explanation.
http://goccf.com/t/375917

Cheers, Bill
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much @Hounddog - the fact that there's more than one of the messed up 1888s agrees well with my current thought. Namely that these mutants would likely come in sets and be due to some kind of damage to the die (?). The alternative, that they're one-offs that were damaged after the strike, seems like likely to me. Mind you, I have not found additional examples of either of the above coin but my gut says they're out there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote: " Namely that these mutants would likely come in sets and be due to some kind of damage to the die "

I think you can rule out the cause as die damage the ones that I'd shown in the 1888 post are all from different dies. It would be hard to believe that there was similar die damage to multiple dies all in the same position and from the earliest dies to the latest.
I'm more inclined to believe it is damaged during the ejection. It may involve the hammer die or collar die as it's ejected. Just my opinion.
To be honest though I'm not certain just how the ejection system worked in the Victorian era.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3307 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go back to Hounddog's link above, from discussions this last Summer(that I was involved in), you will see that I went through scores of 1888's and all displayed the same effect described here by Hounddog in almost the same place(s) on all the coins that I looked at.
Canada
47 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I'm suggesting it's the degree of tilt that is off level and pressure of the strike. If not off by much, then only the hammer die side would have the distortion. If the degree is off more, then there would be more pressure on that side to distort both sides. Proof of this would be the distortion would be in the same area of both sides. I had read that if strike pressure is too much, then what was supposed to be beading will turn into denticles. Just my thoughts on this, I have absolutely no proof to say this is correct, just seems like a logical explanation to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05