Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Napoleon III Coin? How Do I Know If It Is Sm Or Lg Head ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  05:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add AngelMuse7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good evening I have an old Napoleon III coin wondering if it has any value ?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
582 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The picture is a bit blurred so the date is not entirely clear, but I assume this is 1853?

There are no small and large head varieties for the 10 centimes and lower denominations as far as I know, only for silver coins (20 centimes and upwards).

Value in this condition (which is a bit hard to assess from the pictures) 5-10 $.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8091 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the above.

This coin has the BB mintmark which means it was minted at Strasbourg. It has a mintage figure of 4,582,018. My 2018 French coin catalogue values it at 10 euros in TB (VG to Fine) condition.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AngelMuse7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes 1853 but I couldn't find 10 in that year so I thought maybe Dix was 20 even though I know my French 20 is Traunte sp ? But like I said the 10 Centimes I found started in 1856
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
582 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2021  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series of coins was minted 1852-57, then another design with a laureated Napoleon was minted 1861-65. Too bad your coin wasn't an 1855 BB (with those mint marks, as I first thought), then it would have been worth 10 times as much .

For some reason the coins under Napoleon III used words for the denomination of the 1, 2, 5 and 10 centimes bronzes and numbers for the 20 centimes and upwards silvers.
Edited by erafjel
01/16/2021 6:05 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 165Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05