Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 Wedge-Tailed Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 728Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6432 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  9:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
John Mercanti's design for the 2021 Wedge-Tailed Eagle coins from the Perth Mint reminds me of the Mexican Coat-of-Arms that is depicted on many Mexican coins. While not a direct duplicate, and eagles hunting snakes for food is common enough, I have to believe the Mexican Coat was at least a reference source during the design's development.

This year's design is described by the Perth Mint as being a continuation of last year's in which the eagle was shown swooping down with its talons extended. On this year's design, the eagle has caught its prey (a snake) and is about to enjoy the spoils of the hunt.

Both the bullion coin and the Enhanced Reverse Proof High Relief version are due to be available by the end of the month.

2021 Wedge-Tailed Eagle

Image courtesy of Perth Mint.

Mexican Coat-of-Arms

Mexican Coat-of-Arms - Mirror Image

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/17/2021 9:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently added the 2020 high relief in NGC PF 70 Ultra Cameo. All that I lack now are three standard proofs in the same grade for a complete run on these. John Mercanti and the designs were what drew me to these stunning coins. If only more collectors took an interest. But the 2021's are definitely on my list as soon as they start getting graded.

ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6432 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I was also drawn to them based on Mercanti's original design and have been collecting them ever since; I confine myself to the one-ounce silver varieties each year, however, even though each design is struck in multiple weights/sizes and metals.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1927 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of my favorite series! I only have a couple, but have always planned to acquire some of the others (once the shows crank up again...) It was recently said on the forum that Mercanti's career was less than stellar - one look at these will prove that wrong! Thanks for the images and write-up.

I wonder if the 2022 example will have the eagle regurgitating the snake's skeleton?!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just bought the 2021 in NGC standard core MS70 from MCM for $99.95. A bit more than the previous years with similar 70 grade figures, but with silver up I thought that a fair price. The flag cores are at least $175 from what I've seen.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 728Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05